Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 14, 2009   #46
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigatec View Post
I had pretty much the same luck, I ordered my supplies for the Biodome, and everything was backordered. By the time I got everything it was to late to start seeds this year.

I guess next year I will order early.
Or not at all from Park's, based on everything I've seen in this thread..

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #47
Amigatec
Tomatovillian™

Yes that was my first one, it weighted 460 lbs. i have 4 more ready to go in the ground this year. As far as tips, I wouldn't know where to start, there are so many things to learn about growing these things.

My goal this year is 700 lbs.
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #48
Amigatec
Tomatovillian™

My biggest concerm with Park Seed is where would I buy the refills for my Biodomes? I have 3 of these now, I ready like them.
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #49
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Amigatec,
I think if you look at a hydroponic plug, it would be very similar to the park bio sponge. I'm going to buy some this winter and experiment around to see how well they fit.
Old April 15, 2009   #50
red

Here is a link for the plugs. You can also check the same area for "Perfect Starts"...another variety of sponge plugs.

http://www.simplyhydroponics.com/rapid_rooters.htm

Hope this helps....I am going to miss Parks myself!

Steve
Old April 17, 2009   #51
JimM_SC
Tomatovillian™

I was worried when I read the first post in this thread. I've ordered from Parks for years and they are the exclusive supplier for one of my favorite hybrids. I took a deep breath and placed an order on Saturday night the 11th. The order shipped Tuesday the 14th and was in my mailbox when I got home today. The order was complete. No, I don't work for Parks. Maybe I was lucky. I just wanted you to know that it is possible to get some things from Parks without a hassle.
Jim
JimM_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2009   #52
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

What hybrid?

Curious webmasters want to know LOL!

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2009   #53
JimM_SC
Tomatovillian™

Beefy Boy. It does well in my garden. Its large. Its early. Its productive. The texture is good and the taste is better than average. I ordered 1/32 oz. in case it disappears from their catalog. I grow a mix of hybrids and heirlooms. CP is my favorite for taste. Dixie Golden Giant and Kelloggs Breakfast run a close second. I have grown ~100 different varieties and try a few new ones each year. Spears Tennessee Green (thank you, Lee) is new this year. I alway plant Beefy Boy. Years ago it was Parks Whopper, before they 'Improved' it.
Jim
JimM_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2010   #54
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Travis, Polar Lace and creister
Notice that only Texans got their seeds on time - someone at Parks remembers the Alamo and how tough Texans are
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2010   #55
louster
Tomatovillian™

I used to use the Park's plugs, also...Jumbo, 18 cell type. Then, last year tired of paying so much for them, I tried one Bio-Dome differently. I stapled a piece of old panty hose around the sides, so that it covered the bottom to prevent losing soil, and filled it with seed starting mix. It worked well, and the seedlings in that bio-dome were a lot larger and more robust than the ones in the plugs.
So if anyone out there is interested in some plugs, I have some from last year I could send you. This year, it's going to be old panty hose and seed starting mix for me!!
By the way, the only reason I started using the bio-dome was because we have three cats that seem to think that seed starting trays are great fun. The bio-domes have nice, heavyweight covers that they can't seem to dislodge. I can uncover them during the day when I'm home, and cover them up at night, or when I go away.
louster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2010   #56
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigatec View Post
My biggest concerm with Park Seed is where would I buy the refills for my Biodomes? I have 3 of these now, I ready like them.
Hi, Amigatec,

Is the Biodome the same as GardensAlive All Roots system? They look alike. I just ordered 2 of them and got the plugs. They were shipped the same day.

The only difference was that the Biodome had 60 plugs and the All Roots had 55. GardensAlive describes the plugs as "organic material that has spongelike qualities."

LoreD
Old January 9, 2010   #57
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

The one thing that started to turn me off about Park Seeds, was the fact that their photo layouts for certain items were ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL to what I've seen in the catalogs for Wayside Gardens and also in a few other catalogs. Methinks there's something of a monopoly going on here, and I'm not exactly sure who's in charge here. It's just a bit disconcerting to see something in a Wayside Gardens catalog that looks vaguely familiar. I'm about ready to drop them all. I've got some horror stories of my own about Wayside, but I won't bore you fine people.....
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2010   #58
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I'm sad about Park's being bought out. I have fond memories of planning gardens and ordering seeds with my mother, and visiting up there during the Flower Festival. I feel a little bit like I've heard an old friend from high school has passed away.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2010   #59
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

I planted last years seed from Park about a week ago. The product was all good, only I received a few different shipments over a six week period. One of the items was canna tropical mix. The 5 varieties came each in their own packets. Each packet was labeled "5 seeds" and they all had 6. I got out my file and opened the packets and realized they were pre- knicked. Looked like a spider bite.

This year I got a prompt delivery from Harris after reading of Ruth Stout's fondness of them from 40 years ago. I am also pleased with the service from Underwood/ Terroir, Totally Tomatoes, and Jung. The ability to communicate with the owners is nice.

Last edited by David Marek; January 20, 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: forgot TT
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2010   #60
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I use the domes, but do the same thing as you louster. And it works just fine for me!

I stapled a piece of old panty hose around the sides, so that it covered the bottom to prevent losing soil, and filled it with seed starting mix. It worked well, and the seedlings in that bio-dome were a lot larger and more robust than the ones in the plugs.
So if anyone out there is interested in some plugs, I have some from last year I could send you. This year, it's going to be old panty hose and seed starting mix for me!!
By the way, the only reason I started using the bio-dome was because we have three cats that seem to think that seed starting trays are great fun. The bio-domes have nice, heavyweight covers that they can't seem to dislodge. I can uncover them during the day when I'm home, and cover them up at night, or when I go away.[/quote]
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote