Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 8, 2013   #1
jennyann2
Tomatovillian™

Default Going on vacation, will this survive?

Hi All,

This year will be my third year gardening and starting tomatoes from seeds so I still have a lot to learn. I did not fully think through scheduling a family vacation the last week of April! I am in Frederick, MD zone 6 and in the previous two years I have started my seeds indoors in mid to late March and transplanted outside Mother's Day weekend. I won't have anyone that could come water my starts while I'm gone for a week. What would you do, not start them until I get back May 1st or start them in March and hope they survive the week with no watering?
jennyann2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

It might be a good year to buy your transplants at a garden center when you get back from holiday and save your seed for next year. 4-6 week old tomato seedlings wouldn't do well with a week without water (or supplemental lighting)? They may survive but they will stressed and suffer a big setback. Planting seed in Late April may be too late to expect much of a crop before fall either.
If it were me, I would enjoy the holiday and purchase some healthy seedlings for my garden when I got back.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; February 8, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I would put the plants in a tall container, like a Solo cup, and then place them in a large bin with an inch or two of water just before you leave. If they're planted in a typical "pro-mix" of mostly peat or pine bark fines, the mix will wick the water upward and most the cup will stay moist, but not so wet that the roots rot. It's not perfect, but it will work.

If you happen to have an old fountain or fish tank water pump and a cheap timer, an automated watering system is not that difficult to rig up. It only has to work for a week.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #4
luke
Tomatovillian™

Follow both recommendations above... Leave them with water in a large Rubbermaid type bin to soak up as you are gone, and buy a cheap timer for your lights (get a timer anyway; it will save a ton of effort on your part. Ordered mine online.). This is what I've done, although I haven't been gone for anything longer than a long weekend. I use the smaller cups (opaque "beer" cups from Target) with 3 slits in the bottom.

If they don't make it, buy your plants to set out.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Once I pot up, I water no more than once every 7 or 8 days in any case. If you give them a heavy watering before you go, they will be fine a week later, in my experience. I just put them under a flourescent light and let it go 24 hours a day. I haven't lost any plants.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #6
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

You might check out the thread on using DE for seed starting. I've started mine in that this year and have found that if I put water in the bottom of the tray it only wicks it up as needed. It stays damp for a long time, but doesn't seem to get soggy.

If you put in enough for a week, it should do the trick.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #7
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

If it's affordable, you might contact one of those come-to-your-home pet care services. They are usually bonded and insured, and might be able to tend your plants every few days for you. Just a thought.

I did a Yelp search for pet sitting services in Frederick, MD, and found this one, Sit Doggie, which also offers basic home services, including plant care. However, they give a rate for "with other service" so you might have to negotiate for just plant care.

http://sitdoggie.com/dog-walking-pet-sitting-services/

Just an idea, there was another, http://wmpcp.com/services_and_fees, Willow's Pet Care Plus, which also mentions plant care, though they were not on Yelp. Just an idea if you think it might be worth it to be covered.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #8
jennyann2
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for your suggestions! Since I have ordered some seed of varieties I haven't seen at my local nurseries I think I'll take a chance on a few starts and if necessary supplement with transplants when I get back. For the starts I'll look into DE or at least get a mostly peat mix. Great idea Kilroy, I never would have thought of using a pet sitting service.
jennyann2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013   #9
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

The only reason I thought of that is I knew someone years ago who had his own pet sitting business, and he must have mentioned that they do some light home maintenance, pick up newspaper and mail, move garbage to curb, water plants, etc.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote