Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 6, 2011   #16
walkinggin
Tomatovillian™

Qweniden, I take it that you're suggesting you will be keeping your plants under lights, inside, for two months? I would think that in your climate, you could safely leave your plants outside during the day and bring them in at night when the temps go below 48 or so.

My average temp in feb is about 68 high/45 low. I move the seedlings outside as soon as the first few start showing green, and move them back under the lights after it gets dark so that they have a total of 16 hours of light.

Of course the moving in and out of the house may not work for you, I usually have about 150 plants that I sow using Craig's dense planting method and once they have been potted up to 16 oz cups, which I do after two weeks, I no longer bother to put them under lights those extra hours.

Initially, you have to be careful about watering them, but it makes for healthy and tough plants that don't need hardening off.

Sorry, I know this was not what you were askingbut I figured I would suggest you let the sun do some of the work.

Ginny
walkinggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011   #17
cjbrewer5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSue54 View Post
I have a rookie question. At what point in the process do I start using the lights? Mind you - my seed were only put in the Jiffy pellets on February 1, and I'm only just now beginning to see signs of life.
Thanx
BSue
As soon as you see the seedling emerge then they need to be under the lights. If you don't get the lights on them as soon as they emerge, then you will have very leggy seedlings. Keep the lights about 1 or 2 inches above the seedlings so they don't have to stretch for the light. You will have shorter and stockier plants. Hope this helps!

Charles
cjbrewer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011   #18
BSue54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbrewer5 View Post
As soon as you see the seedling emerge then they need to be under the lights. If you don't get the lights on them as soon as they emerge, then you will have very leggy seedlings. Keep the lights about 1 or 2 inches above the seedlings so they don't have to stretch for the light. You will have shorter and stockier plants. Hope this helps!

Charles
Wow - you weren't kidding. After reading your message, I went and checked, and what were not quite unfurled little tiny threads yesterday are TALL (LEGGY) little baby giraffe looking things tonight! And I can't find the lights I was planning to put them under. Guess I'd better find a place with some bright natural light and pray it's sunny tomorrow!
Thanks for the info
Bobbie
BSue54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2011   #19
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

My primary shelving is a 4 foot wide wire shelf that rolls around. This allows me to take the plants outside the garage for an introduction to the sun. Four shelves allows as many as 16 flats with up to 72 compartments per flat.

And, the box of 10 bulbs (6400K) at Lowes turns out to be just a bit more than $2 per bulb. With tax, one of the T-12 fixtures with two 6400k bulbs for about $16. Not bad these days.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #20
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the good information
Qweniden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #21
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I would agree with walkinggin. You're going to be able to start bringing your seedlings outside once it's warmer outside and evening temps aren't dipping below 45. Just keep them completely shaded.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #22
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

The answer to your question is yes!
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #23
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

Old February 9, 2011   #24
Wargamer777
Tomatovillian™

I love those cereal transplant pots!! :-)
Wargamer777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #25
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

me too...they're free...from the school breakfast
Old February 9, 2011   #26
Wargamer777
Tomatovillian™

Looks like its time to check in with my local schools and see if I can collect some.
Wargamer777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #27
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

I have always used a standard two bulb, 4 foot shop light with the cheapest bulbs and certainly have grown and put out hundreds of p;ants that way. this year though I'm going to try different bulbs. These are 40 watt 4 foot bulbs for the same fixture but are for "plant and aquarium". These were about $8.50 per bulb at my local hardware. I'm hoping for a stronger start as my plants are usually pretty leggy. I'll try them this year and see if I can see if there is a noticeable difference.
http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPro...amps_Terrarium

P.S. It claims "Specially designed to promote growth and flowering of plants and aquatic vegetation." I think standard bulbs can only give vegetative growth but not flowering. But then I'm no expert or I would probably not be using "shop-lights".
“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #28
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

I can highly recommend the 6500K daylight bulbs from Lowes that are about 20.00
per box of 10. They will fit your 4ft shoplight fixture.JMHO

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #29
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

When I first started looking for lighting I would google and always got directed to sites with pot growers! High Lumen 6500K T8's seemed to be the thing. I have to say they knew what they were talking about. Great healthy green growth. I have 4x8' tables and run 8 four foot fixtures over each table (16 bulbs).
Be sure to keep the bulbs down low over the growth and move the lights up as the seedlings grow. Too high and those little seedlings will reach for the light and get spindly.
I put wheels on my tables and as the weather warms I wheel them out the shop garage door during the day and back in at night.

Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2011   #30
jamie_savoie
Tomatovillian™

great idea Granite!
jamie_savoie is offline   Reply With Quote