Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 9, 2013   #16
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

regarding watering,

i keep the seed mix moist until the seeds sprout. once they sprout and start growing i mist the soil with one of those squirt bottles when the surface is dry to the touch, or poke your finger down and see if it is dry. using the spray bottle might make it harder for your friend to over water. you want the soil dry, but not bone dry to the point the plants wilt. over watering will kill your plants just the same as not enough water.i would tell your friend to do the finger touch method. don't water without checking the soil. then if needed give the soil surface a good spray with the mister. with practice you will get the hang of it. small plants have small demands for water. they can go a few days between watering usually.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013   #17
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I will definitely take all this wonderful knowledge and apply it to my gardening.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #18
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

I wanted to update everyone on my progress which I think is good. I repotted them last weekend in 3" and burried most of them pretty deep. Right now they are doing really well and the brandywine's seem to be taking off.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-gXj6mOi9vws/UU...0/IMAG0068.jpg
Old March 23, 2013   #19
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Nice job on the save. Now lower those lights as close as you can. Unless you already did and just raised them for the picture.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #20
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Nice job on the save. Now lower those lights as close as you can. Unless you already did and just raised them for the picture.
Thanks I just raised it for the pic. I have the light almost touching the stakes. Also does anyone know when I should start fertilizing? I was thinking of using miracle grow tomato food.
Old March 23, 2013   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

they look really good! good job. there are many thoughts on fertilizing tomato seedlings. If using a water soluble product like miracle grow while mine are in the house I use a balanced all purpose fertilizer (20-20-20) at 1/4 strength and room temperature or slightly lukewarm with each watering. once they are fully hardened off and in the ground or pots outdoors, continue now with weekly full strength balanced fertilizer until they begin to bloom and then switch to a tomato fertilizer at that point for the higher potassium to nitrogen ratio found in specific tomato fertilizer.
I am sure if you ask 20 tomatovillians you will get 20 different answers and that's OK because it just shows that there is more than one way to do most things and that tomatoes are pretty adaptable and easy to grow plants. This is what works for me.
The next high risk danger zone for your seedlings will be hardening off. careful with that...
like James said, good save!
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #22
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
they look really good! good job. there are many thoughts on fertilizing tomato seedlings. If using a water soluble product like miracle grow while mine are in the house I use a balanced all purpose fertilizer (20-20-20) at 1/4 strength and room temperature or slightly lukewarm with each watering. once they are fully hardened off and in the ground or pots outdoors, continue now with weekly full strength balanced fertilizer until they begin to bloom and then switch to a tomato fertilizer at that point for the higher potassium to nitrogen ratio found in specific tomato fertilizer.
I am sure if you ask 20 tomatovillians you will get 20 different answers and that's OK because it just shows that there is more than one way to do most things and that tomatoes are pretty adaptable and easy to grow plants. This is what works for me.
The next high risk danger zone for your seedlings will be hardening off. careful with that...
like James said, good save!
Karen
Thank You Karen for the advice. So fertilizing every watering while indoors isn't overkill? I currently water twice a week as they aren't needing watering more frequently.
Old March 23, 2013   #23
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

1/4 strength once or twice a week is what mine get. Tomatoes are heavy feeders and grow really fast as seedlings. you can do it just once a week if you'd rather. I wait til they need watering but not until they are super dry. I water from the bottom keeping the foliage and stems dry. same goes for outdoors. aside from actual rain, I try to keep the foliage dry when watering. You'll find it helps to to prevent fungal disease problems.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2013   #24
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

What Karen said about 1/4 strength. And about getting 20 different answers. I would advocate caution though. You can always add fert, but you can't take it back. And if over-fertilize them at this stage you can do permanent damage. They look worlds better than your original picture. Ask yourself - Do they look like they need it?

Other considerations:
What mix did you pot up into? Is it already providing?
When are you planning on planting out? Do you plan on potting up again 1st? If you do pot up again, do you have enough room and light for them inside?
You can control their growth indoors with pot size, temperature and fertilizer. You don't want to deny them light or water.
Under fertilized is going to be better than over fertilized at this stage. You don't have the buffer benefit of a larger pot or the ground.

This is this more like a cooking recipe as opposed to baking. A cooking recipe IMO is a guideline and a baking recipe needs to be more precise.
Old March 24, 2013   #25
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
What Karen said about 1/4 strength. And about getting 20 different answers. I would advocate caution though. You can always add fert, but you can't take it back. And if over-fertilize them at this stage you can do permanent damage. They look worlds better than your original picture. Ask yourself - Do they look like they need it?

Other considerations:
What mix did you pot up into? Is it already providing?
When are you planning on planting out? Do you plan on potting up again 1st? If you do pot up again, do you have enough room and light for them inside?
You can control their growth indoors with pot size, temperature and fertilizer. You don't want to deny them light or water.
Under fertilized is going to be better than over fertilized at this stage. You don't have the buffer benefit of a larger pot or the ground.

This is this more like a cooking recipe as opposed to baking. A cooking recipe IMO is a guideline and a baking recipe needs to be more precise.
I never thought of that but I did pot up to miracle grow potting mix which already has fertilizer in it. I will hold off on adding more fertilizer till they go outside. Right now in san diego it's still cold at night low 50's/upper 40's. I think in a few weeks I will start hardening them off.
Old March 24, 2013   #26
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Give them some of those cold temps now. You will be happy you did.
Read this thread.
http://67.23.252.182/~tomatovl/showthread.php?t=13171
It doesn't have to be perfect. Even a few hours a day will make a difference. The cold will make them "stalkier". Put them on your porch after dinner and leave them until before bed. I move mine to the garage under lights once they get to 1st true leaves and don't bring them back inside. My garage temps fluctuate from 50 down to 35 before the weather breaks. They spent 5 weeks out there last year with at least a full week in the 30's and I thought it made a big difference in their overall health.
And be prepared, they will turn purple...
Old March 29, 2013   #27
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Ouch! The suggestion to throw them out was not very nice.

Yes, they can be saved and should be saved. I hate throwing anything growing out. Just plant them deep. We were all beginners at one point and we are all also constantly learning from our mistakes.

Best of luck to you with your new obsession!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote