Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2010   #16
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

LOL!!!!

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #17
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

HA, I started my babies and expected to have around 30-40 plants total when done, WELL (almost) EVERY LAST SEED GERMINATED I now have OVER 250 plants, you know how I know? I bought 240 cups from Costco to pot up in, and used every single one plus extra I had to plant in cottage cheese, and yogurt containers. What the heck I am going to do with all these plants I don't know. I guess I am fortunate that some did not germinate.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2010   #18
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Tomatomail me your address - will pop some Jaune Flamme seeds to you ASAP. You will like them - easy well-mannered plant with tasty high production.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2010   #19
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Huntoften,

If it makes you feel better, I started last year with just 6 varieties. Now look what these people in here did to me:

·Abe Lincoln
·Ace 55
·Alicante
·Amana Orange
·Amish Paste
·Arkansas Traveler
·Black Cherry Tomatoes
·Black Krim
·Black Pear
·Black Prince
·Black Russian
·Bloody Butcher
·Box Car Willie
·Brandywine - Cowlicks
·Brandywine OTV
·Brandywine - Pink
·Brandywine - Sudduth
·Brandywine Yellow
·Campbell’s 1327
·Caspian Pink
·Cherokee Purple
·Costoluto Genovese
·Coustralee
·Druzba
·Dutchman
·Earliana
·Early Cascade
·Eva Purple Ball
·German Johnson
·German Red Strawberry
·Glacier
·Golden Ponderosa
·Heinz 1439
·Henderson Crimson Cushion
·Hillbilly
·Isis Candy Cherry Tomato
·Italian Heirloom
·Jubilee
·Kellogg’s Breakfast WVa
·Kentucky Beefsteak
·Manalucie
·Marglobe
·Market Wonder
·Marion
·Marmande
·Mortgage Lifter
·Mountain Princess
·Mule Team
·New Yorker
·Nyagous
·Old Brooks
·Old German
·Opalka
·Oregon Spring
·Paul Robeson
·Pink Ponderosa
·Pink Ruffled
·Red Zebra
·Riesentraube
·Rutgers
·San Marzano
·Sheyenne
·Stump of the World
·Tiffen Mennonite
·Tommy Toe
·Tumbler
·Yellow Pear

These people are sick in here, I tell ya! By the way, care to trade 6 seeds of your Stupice for 6 seeds of something in my list?
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2010   #20
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I'd be more than happy to trade some Stupice for some Mule Team! I'll PM you my address!
Old February 22, 2010   #21
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

You guys are pikers (jk) LOL.

2 years ago just before I found TV, I had just short of 200 varieties. Now after 2 years of trading here, I have just about 500. And I haven't even gotten into the SSE yearbook for varieties.

Actually I will have probably 1/2 again that many samples to get planted as I have multi generations of some varieties and I like to grow at least a few of the purchased seeds if there is a chance there could be variation in the growth.

It really is a disease that is hard to control, especially if you have no limits on your plant-outs.

Actually for me the limiting factor may be what I'm able to process for seeds in the fall. Unless I can modify my processing area in the barn, it looks like I can do somewhere around 150 - 200 - 5 gal buckets before I run out of steam or the cold weather kills the seeds. But that would still give me a 3 year rotation, at worst, for seeds on 500+ varieties .

It sucks to have a bit of an "addictive personality". But at least my addiction isn't alcohol or drugs.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2010   #22
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Well, well, well...just got an envelope from TGS. Seems I had Cherokee Purple and Bush Champion VFFA on backorder. No clue how I forgot about Cherokee Purple!

I've also got a couple of trades in the works for Juanne Flamme and Mule Team...47, 48...why not make it an even 50! ARRRGGGHHH!
Old February 22, 2010   #23
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Mule Team is on the way...please check your PM.

Thanks!

Steve
Old February 22, 2010   #24
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
You guys are pikers (jk) LOL.

2 years ago just before I found TV, I had just short of 200 varieties. Now after 2 years of trading here, I have just about 500. And I haven't even gotten into the SSE yearbook for varieties.

Actually I will have probably 1/2 again that many samples to get planted as I have multi generations of some varieties and I like to grow at least a few of the purchased seeds if there is a chance there could be variation in the growth.

It really is a disease that is hard to control, especially if you have no limits on your plant-outs.

Actually for me the limiting factor may be what I'm able to process for seeds in the fall. Unless I can modify my processing area in the barn, it looks like I can do somewhere around 150 - 200 - 5 gal buckets before I run out of steam or the cold weather kills the seeds. But that would still give me a 3 year rotation, at worst, for seeds on 500+ varieties .

It sucks to have a bit of an "addictive personality". But at least my addiction isn't alcohol or drugs.

Carol
Wow Carol...

There's sick...and there's SICK AND WRONG!

500+ varieties?!!!
Old February 22, 2010   #25
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I just did an inventory, I am sick so I finally had the time to write down all of the varieties that I have. *drumroll please!!!! the total is 124 different kinds!! now how did I get so many? I really have no idea, a trade here, a trade there, a couple from one website, a couple from another, it really is a sickness. I need to stop, and oh yeah, now someone has sent me peppers so now I am getting started with "that" addiction too. (insert sarcasm here Thanks guys, thanks a lot for helping fuel it) sarcasm off!!
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2010   #26
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Oh yah, hot peppers can really be addictive too. Both as a grower and physically the body craves the hit from the heat.

I used to grow about 200 varieties every year for about a dozen years. Most of them went into my killer hot pepper sauce. Like tabasco with an attitude.

Several really bad growing seasons in a row got me to switch to the tomatoes. It can be hard to grow some of those hot things here in Wisconsin. But eventually I hope to get back to the hot peppers too.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2010   #27
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

I have 225 varieties.

Now, mind you, 2 years ago I planted early girls and big boys. Then I discovered another garden site and heirloom tomatoes. So, last year, through trades I ended up with about 100 varieties and I planted about 48 varieties.

Then, I discovered tville. My 100 varieties over doubled to the 225 and this year I'm planting 76 varieties. It's useless, I'll never win!

Last edited by yotetrapper; February 22, 2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: I dont know how to spell, lol.
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2010   #28
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Finished the drawings of your new greenhouses yet?;-)
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2010   #29
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Oh yah, hot peppers can really be addictive too. Both as a grower and physically the body craves the hit from the heat.

I used to grow about 200 varieties every year for about a dozen years. Most of them went into my killer hot pepper sauce. Like tabasco with an attitude.

Several really bad growing seasons in a row got me to switch to the tomatoes. It can be hard to grow some of those hot things here in Wisconsin. But eventually I hope to get back to the hot peppers too.

Carol
I LOVE hot peppers - as does my 8 year old son. We started out with jalapenos and habaneros last year and now have 17 varieties. Most go to fresh salsa but I want to learn how to make some hot sauce...and I'll look in to that later this summer.
Old February 24, 2010   #30
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

43 is cool, 300 is insane...
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote