Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 21, 2007   #1
tomatoaddict

Default Berkeley Tie Dye

I ordered Berkeley Tie Dye and Pink Berkeley Tie Dye and I was wondering about them. It says they are either crosses or mutations found in a field. I'm definately not an expert here, but I was wondering if they are stable? I thought it took a few generations (tomato) to stabilize a new variety. They are pretty cool looking maters.
Old March 21, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
I ordered Berkeley Tie Dye and Pink Berkeley Tie Dye and I was wondering about them. It says they are either crosses or mutations found in a field. I'm definately not an expert here, but I was wondering if they are stable? I thought it took a few generations (tomato) to stabilize a new variety. They are pretty cool looking maters.
I grew BTD in spring of '06 from seeds Brad sent to me in the fall of '05 and it was true to type for both plants. As far as I know, everyone else that has grown it (except perhaps for a person in California**) has had the same experience. Mantis and a couple of others in warmer climes have already grown it out from my saved seed and also had true to type plants/fruits.

** http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=2586

If I had to venture a guess, my saved seeds are either F3 or F4. I do not know if Brad grew out his discovery once before distributing seeds or not.

I've not grown the pink BTD and don't even have seeds for it yet, so can't speak to that one.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2007   #3
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Just got off the phone talking with Brad, and what was going to be just a few minutes turned into multiple minutes times 4!

I have many varieties that are the equivalent to his, and after describing some of mine to his, it is apparent I have many other color combos he does not have. Whereas he has chance crosses and reasonably stable lines, I have deliberate pedigrees in the crosses and habitually stable lines identified.

Back to seeding.

Tom
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2007   #4
tomatoaddict

Tom,
I am interested in what you said. I am new to this so bear with me if my questions seem silly.
So..... Do your pedigree tomatoes have names? Do you sell them?
What generations are they? Do you have any cool pictures of them?
Thanks,
Terry
Old March 24, 2007   #5
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Do your pedigree tomatoes have names? Do you sell them?
What generations are they? Do you have any cool pictures of them?
Terry,
I need to realize that there are new members to this forum all the time. Perhaps there are members who need topical information on crossing tomatoes other than what has been posted previously over the years. My problem is that I need to keep it fresh for the older members to appreciate.

Quote:
Do my pedigree tomatoes have names?
Yes and No.

All of my varieties and all varieties obtained from elsewhere receive a number unique to it once it get sown. That number carries on to the next generation when it gets an additional number based on sowing data. Even if it gains a moniker, the number carries along with the history.

For example; #7-41 5-11-94 represents the 41st plant saved from the seedlings of #7 of the sowing of May 11, 1994 of a field/direct seeding near Buttonwillow, California. The seed was an F-2 of the cross of Elberta Girl female to a male Brandywine from the F-1 plant grown in 1990. The F-3 seed was stored in part since 1994 until it was sown as #346 of 3-27-06.

Since only one plant was planted in the greenhouse near Carnation, WA., it was, by default, only listed as 346 and not 346-1 which would imply that more than one sibling was saved from that sowing. The plant exhibited the sought after recessive traits as a seedling, so only this plant was saved among the siblings. Upon fruiting the plant was further ID'ed with additional traits worth tracking.

What to cross it with?

Among several pollen parents used in crosses to 346 was
# 569 3-27-06 which was OTV. The hybrid was made--- seed extracted from the resulting fruit--- and the F-1 seed was sown as #8 3-23-07 which was yesterday.

The female was named from the 346 3-27-06 seedling as Elberta Wine. The hybrid seedlings with OTV will be somewhat variable for some traits but the seedlings will all be potato leafs.

This cross is what I call a half sibling intercross or a partial backcross to the Brandywine heritage since OTV is derived in part from Brandywine itself. The F-1 hybrid will not get a name since it is not uniform. The F-2 seed saved later this year will be inventoried until the seed in sown and selections made in the segregating populations. I rarely name a plant until the F-3 generation or later. Tomato clones can be stable from F-4 and F-5 lines but I usually check segregating filial populations for a few more generations. Most of the time, I feel fairly safe at F-7, but it has to follow single seed descent to be sure.

Quote:
What generations are they?
My collection of breeding lines (with or without names) are anywhere from F-1 to F-51.

Quote:
Do you sell them?
I sold tomato seed from 1983 thru 1986 with my Tater-Mater Seed catalog. Tater-Mater has been in R&D status since.

Quote:
Do you have any cool pictures of them?
Very few of any quality. My wife has a digital camera but she hasn't let me use it on tomatoes yet. She is afraid I'll get green stuff all over the camera case! My camera is my memory. Each seed pkt. has sufficient descriptions as to jog my memory bank to a virtual recall.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2007   #6
tomatoaddict

Thanks Tom,
I guess I really don't understand tomato crossing that well. Parts of it I understand and some of it I don't. I find the subject extremely interesting, yet it's frustrating for me because I don't really know enough about it to follow the work. I have all the respect for those members on this board that do this.
I have been growing heirlooms and OP's for about 3 years. I still am learning the basics. Maybe down the road I will have enough knowledge to be able to have an intelligent conversation about breeding and crossing.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. If your wife ever gets around to loaning you the camera, I would love to see pics of some of your tomatoes.
Terry
Old March 26, 2007   #7
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default Under standing tomato breeding

If you are interested in learning more about tomato breeding I would suggest you look into cheching Carrol Deppe's book how to bread your own vegitables. Is cover tomatoes their are also a few web sit in the top half of the forum than wil give you a lot o back groud information.
Unlike Tom I am new the this concept of breeding tomatoes.
Celtic
celticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2007   #8
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I have been so darn busy lately(that time of the year) I have not been able to post.
Thanks for the informative chat Tom.

BTD came from seeds that where originally saved the year before from an extra large Green Zebra with a pink spot. I think that was 1999 or 2000. BTD was the tastiest and prettiest variation of that growout.
BTD pink showed up the next year as one plant that was mostly dark pink blush in the meat with some pink bleeding to the outside. The next year the dark pink(port wine color) was in most of the tomatoes and I saw no variations last year when I grew a couple hundred plants of it.
For the last couple years I have wanted to actually do a cross but my plate is sooo full with the dozens and dozens of natures crosses I already have and most of them are more outrageous then anything I could have thought up so they are kind of like my dog, not pedigree but better then I could have imagined.
feraltomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2007   #9
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Just a note: The pics of the BTD from the Norcatt thread listed by Suze above I posted. The BTD that I grew was from seed I got from Brad, not that I saved myself. Just FYI!

Diana
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2007   #10
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Vermit,
About 5% of my BTD where much like that in my '06 garden. Cross I guess. It is somewhat like the tomato I got BTD pink from only it had a very dark spot in the middle.

Tom, I was wondering if you have seen dark blushing from the center of the tomato expand to take over the whole tomato?
I remember you mentioning on the phone about some of your tomatoes a completely different color in the flesh then the skin.
Is this extremely rare?

Brad..........
feraltomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2007   #11
tylenol
Tomatovillian™

Is BTD.. RL or PL ?

Rob
tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2007   #12
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
Is BTD.. RL or PL ?
Rob, it's RL.

*filler*
Old April 4, 2007   #13
tylenol
Tomatovillian™

THANKS Suze, Now I just have to figure out what PL variety I put in with them.

Brad or anyone,
Is there somewhere I can go to find leaf type and DTM info. on all of the Wild Boar Farm varieties ?

Rob
tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2007   #14
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
Brad or anyone,
Is there somewhere I can go to find leaf type and DTM info. on all of the Wild Boar Farm varieties ?

Rob
Rob, not that I know of for every single one. I've entered some of them into Plantfiles, so if you type the variety name and "dave's garden" or "plantfiles" into google, that should bring at least some of them up.

Brad can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the vast majority of his varieties are RL. I'm just making that assumption based on what I know about the ones I've read/conversed about with others and Brad in terms of what crosses they resulted from (most were RL varieties), and also based on the ones I've had the opportunity to grow so far.

Most of them are likely mid-season to (some) mid-late season.

If you have specific questions about a particular variety, post it up here at Tville , and I'm sure someone will be glad to answer.

Yellow Fuzzy Boar is one that is PL.