Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 22, 2018   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Container Size

I've probably mentioned, or asked, about this in other posts on other forums, but I still want more feedback.

I'm considering some test patches using rigid black plastic nursery pots, black fabric grow bags, and white fabric grow bags.

I'm eager to see if the aeration of the cloth grow bags will have a noticeable and good effect on the plants. I know I've always gotten root swirling and binding in plastic containers, so observing the fabric pots in comparison should be interesting. I also know that the roots don't need hot black plastic, and probably not black fabric, in the heat of summer, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how well the white fabric does in the hot weather of late July and August.

Now, for size. I know that the more room for roots, the better. But I also know there has to be a point of diminishing returns. For example, I doubt a 100 gallon pot would do any better than a 55 gallon drum. I don't think the roots would fill either one to the point of being a problem, and I don't think the roots would be any more cramped in a 55 or 100 gallon container than they would be in regular spoil that hadn't been dug loosely as part of the planting hole.

I'm not considering 5 gallon containers of either plastic or cloth because that is just too small for indeterminates with a long growing season like mine (Zone 7-8, Memphis area...sub-tropical mid-South).

I think 50 gallon is far too big, but I wonder at what size have you long-time container growers seen that an increase in size doesn't make any real difference. I'm thinking that would be around the 25 gallon size.

In a similar thread I got many replies that mentioned mostly the 10 gallon size, but I don't think that will provide enough soil to keep the roots insulated from our hot weather and 95-100 degree days, and also that the water will evaporate too fast. But if 10 gallon is considered the standard size, then I should be more than adequate using 25 gallons containers. I just don't see much need at this point to go any larger.

I look forward to, and will appreciate, all replies and information gained through your experience.

Don