Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2017   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Save seed!!!!!!!!!!! You may just be on to something amazing. Perhaps a somatic mutation that tastes like sungold witb a different shape.
I thought about that as well, but there shouldn't be such a delay in different fruits showing up,since the info for somatic mutations,if involved,is there from the get go in a plant cell.What is affected is exactly where that one cell is, so it could be one fruit,one branch with different colored ones or shapes,etc.

On page 122 in my tomato book I show a picture and discuss the variety Green Gage and note that one branch had all red fruits on a plant that had all yellow fruits and I note that in doing some background research that the variety was known as one to exist in two colors, the original yellow as well as a red. It's a pre-1800 variety, which is why I was growing it.

At least that's been my experience with the somatic mutations I've seen in grow outs.

A good one to cite,which was seen by someone else is this one

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37039

Post #10

Tania credits Robert for finding the ONE yellow fruit on a plant with all red ones,but Robert knows that isn't true.

The yellow one I've grown as have others and the fruits are identical in all ways with the red fruits.

At one time I knew who it was who made that discovery but some Googling and checking didn't give me that name.

Carolyn
Old May 28, 2017   #17
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

So save seeds or not? If so, which fruit? I'm all ears. I've never saved tomato seed in my life.

Donna, the meek and inexperienced
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote