Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2010   #1
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Default Should we increase watering...to offset heat ?

We are in a state of near PANIC....great weather today, sunny, and just under 80.

Beginning Monday, however, forecast is for a 6-day run of high temps, avg 93 to 94. Third time in past month.

Normally I heavily water once per week....seems to do the trick this year so far. (All plants are under thick black plastic).

QUESTION: Will increasing frequency of watering help.....hurt.....or accomplish nothing ?
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010   #2
TimTom
Tomatovillian™

Good Question....

I am in the same scenario as you. I am in the Northeast.....the heat is coming back...and I water about once a week......I am going to continue to to H20 once a week for several reasons.

1. I have over watered Toms in the past with devastating results

2. Toms are more forgiving for a little bit of drought/heat as opposed to
over watering.

Hope this helps any...
TimTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010   #3
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

Watch the foliage on your plants...they will let you know when they need water, if you see them drooping in the early morning or late afternoon/evening...then they need water,

Alberta, who has the same weather headed her way too
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010   #4
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Alberta.....watch for signs of wilting. And, as TimTom said... less is better than more.
Old July 2, 2010   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tomatoes are forgiving of drying out as far as survival...but allowing the plants to dry when there are fruit setting invites blossom end rot. I take it they are in the ground. If they were in pots, that sort of heat would require daily watering (in Raleigh during June, when most days were 90 or hotter, I was occasionally watering twice per day!).
Old July 2, 2010   #6
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Tomatoes are forgiving of drying out as far as survival...but allowing the plants to dry when there are fruit setting invites blossom end rot. I take it they are in the ground. If they were in pots, that sort of heat would require daily watering (in Raleigh during June, when most days were 90 or hotter, I was occasionally watering twice per day!).
Craig,

Yes, under black plastic....they are in the ground.

Am I reading you correctly, that if mid-90's persist daily for the next week.........I should consider increasing water feed at least for plants that have fruits set ?

Thanks in advance !
Old July 2, 2010   #7
Fred in Maine
Tomatovillian™

Noreaster, The important consideration is maintaining fairly consistent soil moisture, something that we all struggle with. You have done well to have black plastic in place. Very intelligent of you. This will go a long way in maintaining consistent soil moisture through a wide range of environmental conditions.

Your practice of watering heavily once a week is ideal. Even with blast-furnace heat like that which is coming in the next week, it may not be necessary to compensate by watering more.

With black plastic having contained the moisture that you have already so correctly applied, there should be adequate moisture in the soil to allow your plants to easily tolerate the stress of temps in the 90s during the coming week. Just as they have done three times in the past month.

Pay attention to leaf behavior. Especially on the plants that are setting fruit. Craig is right about the potential for Blossom End Rot when plants with fruit are stressed. But don’t overly fret. Your plants are bigger and stronger than they have been during the last three bouts of temps in the 90s. Also the roots are now deeper and better able to access the reservoir of water contained in the soil.
Fred in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010   #8
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Okie, Doke !

Thanks Fred, and everyone else who answered. It's been a great start this year in this area of South Jersey....hoping it will continue !

Nothing quite like a highly productive heirloom tomato season.