Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2010   #1
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Default Im eating my tomatoes before they are fully ripe...

Wether you leave them on the vine or ripen them on the counter how do you decide when they are ripe? Is this something you just need to get a feel for?

I had one tomato that had lost its firmness and seemed nice and red but clearly could have had more sugar development.
Qweniden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2010   #2
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Is this just a really dumb question or something?
Old June 25, 2010   #3
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps that's how that variety tastes, whatever it is. Perhaps later fruit will develop more sweetness & flavor as the season progresses. You could let the tomatoes ripen further before trying them and see if there's a difference.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2010   #4
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qweniden View Post
Wether you leave them on the vine or ripen them on the counter how do you decide when they are ripe? Is this something you just need to get a feel for?
When it turns rotten, eat it yesterday.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2010   #5
discrepancy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Is this just a really dumb question or something?
It was two hours between the original post and when you posted this. It takes twelve hours or more to get replies sometimes. Don't worry too much about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloken View Post
LOL!
discrepancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2010   #6
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah! View Post
Perhaps that's how that variety tastes, whatever it is. Perhaps later fruit will develop more sweetness & flavor as the season progresses. You could let the tomatoes ripen further before trying them and see if there's a difference.
How do you personally decide when to pick/eat a tomato?
Old June 25, 2010   #7
puzzley
Tomatovillian™

I usually pick mine at first blush and ripen them on the counter. I can't tell any difference in taste. This helps on heirlooms with cracking and rotting quickly on the vine. I generally consider them ripe when they soften, and the skins are tender. Color is important, but it's different with each variety. Just experiment a little....
puzzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2010   #8
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I agree you have to experiment with each varity on what the optimal eating time is as each will be different.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2010   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloken View Post
Free Beer! - - Tomorrow.......

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2010   #10
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Sometimes the first tomato or two won't taste as good as the rest. I'm not sure why. If the rest don't taste good to you, don't grow that variety again.

Coloken,

Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wether you leave them on the vine or ripen them on the counter how do you decide when they are ripe?
In S.E. Texas this isn't a choice. There are too many mockingbirds, insects, and rodents to leave them on the vine. I pick at first blush and then ripen my tomatoes upside down (shoulders down) on a table.

Quote:
Is this something you just need to get a feel for?
They say a blind man can pick the perfect tomato. For most varieties, the bottom of the tomato should yield to gentle pressure with your thumb. Some varieties are better a little firmer, and I find oxhearts and their ilk are best when the bottom is almost disturbingly soft.

Quote:
I had one tomato that had lost its firmness and seemed nice and red but clearly could have had more sugar development.
Once a tomato has blushed, it's received all the sugar it's going to get. The maximum flavor potential of a tomato is based on the variety selection, and the nutrients/soil conditions from fruit set to harvest.
Quote:
How do you personally decide when to pick/eat a tomato?
By feel and look. Mostly by feel.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #12
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Once a tomato has blushed, it's received all the sugar it's going to get.
So are you saying that once it has blush it isnt getting any sweeter? That doesnt seem to match my experience so far.
Old June 27, 2010   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I am not an expert in sugar development in ripening tomatoes, but there are some here who are, so I'll let them comment on the specifics of Brix measurements and at what point the calyx seals on a tomato.

My understanding is that the tomato has received all the sugars it is going to get when the tomato first blushes. Flavor compounds continue to break down or change during the ripening process. There are something like 400 flavor compounds in a tomato, and it's not simply a matter of sweet or not sweet. Some compounds accentuate sweetness and some compounds mask it.

I have found no difference in the flavor of a tomato allowed to full ripen on the vine (at great risk due to bird and insect pests) than one picked at first blush and ripened indoors.

I will say that tomatoes grown in my garden, which has some organic matter, but not as much as I like, were nothing in comparison to tomatoes grown in Michael G's garden. He grows in pretty much 100% shredded leaves. The result of this soil difference is he has some of the sweetest tomatoes I've ever tasted, compared head-to-head with the same varieties grown in my own garden.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old June 27, 2010   #14
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I am not an expert in sugar development in ripening tomatoes, but there are some here who are, so I'll let them comment on the specifics of Brix measurements and at what point the calyx seals on a tomato.

My understanding is that the tomato has received all the sugars it is going to get when the tomato first blushes. Flavor compounds continue to break down or change during the ripening process. There are something like 400 flavor compounds in a tomato, and it's not simply a matter of sweet or not sweet. Some compounds accentuate sweetness and some compounds mask it.

I have found no difference in the flavor of a tomato allowed to full ripen on the vine (at great risk due to bird and insect pests) than one picked at first blush and ripened indoors.

I will say that tomatoes grown in my garden, which has some organic matter, but not as much as I like, were nothing in comparison to tomatoes grown in Michael G's garden. He grows in pretty much 100% shredded leaves. The result of this soil difference is he has some of the sweetest tomatoes I've ever tasted, compared head-to-head with the same varieties grown in my own garden.
Very interesting. Thank you.

I wonder why the soil makes such a difference?
Old June 27, 2010   #15
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think it can be summed up with "You are what you eat" but I'm sure there is a scientific explanation.

Commercially grown tomatoes are typically grown in almost sterile soil. The plants are directly fertilized, while the soil is ignored.