Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2010   #1
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Default Flicking Brandywines?

I have read that Brandywines in general are a lower producing fruit plant. I have also read that "flicking" the flowers with your fingers or shaking the plants every few days helps these plants produce more fruit. Is there any truth to this or just another hoax? I have only 1 plant and want the most fruit possible from it Thanks! >>>>>>>>>>Talon
Old June 30, 2010   #2
Vince
Tomatovillian™

This may help. Better yet, Buy an electric toothbrush for a couple bucks. They are much more efficient at dislodging the pollen from the anthers than simple flicking.
Old June 30, 2010   #3
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
This may help. Better yet, Buy an electric toothbrush for a couple bucks. They are much more efficient at dislodging the pollen from the anthers than simple flicking.
Thanks for the input!
Old June 30, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon1189 View Post
I have read that Brandywines in general are a lower producing fruit plant. I have also read that "flicking" the flowers with your fingers or shaking the plants every few days helps these plants produce more fruit. Is there any truth to this or just another hoax? I have only 1 plant and want the most fruit possible from it Thanks! >>>>>>>>>>Talon
Yes it's true.

In MI you would not be having prolonged periods of high heat which destroys pollen, nor same for high humidity which clumps pollen so you're dealing with just ole stubborn Brandywine.

If flicking blossoms it's too easy to accidentally knock them off so I suggest you just shake the plants a couple of times each day and/or take a broom to them and gently whack them a couple of tomes a day.
Old July 1, 2010   #5
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

I have three brandywines growing and had some flowers just fall off for no apparent reason. I started flicking my flowers/shaking the entire cage system, and have seen an increase in the amount of flowers staying on the plant. (this could have other factors involved, but I like the idea of an easy fix)

Danwigz
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010   #6
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Talon,

I have quite a few different Brandywine and Brandywine crosses growing, all in cages. I'm a firm believer in shaking each cage a couple times/day to increase pollination. This year in particular as it's been very hot and humid here for what is beginning to seem like forever.
I apply this to all varieties that have those larger than average blossoms. Especially during higher temperatures and higher humidity...it does make a significant difference.
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010   #7
pete
Tomatovillian™

My son flicked his friend's sister named Brandy and she did whine, but did not get anymore fruit.

Shake the cages when the plants are dry!!!!
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010   #8
Fred in Maine
Tomatovillian™

In my zone 5, I can be fairly aggressive in roughing up blossoms. Blossom drop due to heat is never a problem. And I've never had a blossom fall due to agitation.

Some people use an electric toothbrush to shake the flowers. I have used a small vibrator that I bought at Brookstones at the mall. I never place it directly on any flower, rather on the stems of the truss near the flowers. This works very well for me. I can actually see a small cloud of pollen when I do this.

Brandywines are notorious for low production, but by using a vibrator to ensure the best chance of pollination of every flower, I "think" I am getting the most from every blossom on each truss.
Fred in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote