Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2010   #16
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

I think that there are too many variables. lol The best tasting tomato for eating on it's own may not be the best for a sandwich. The best tasting for a sandwich isn't the best tasting tomato for sauce. The best tasting for sauce isn't the best tasting for drying. etc etc.

Thank goodness we have so many varieties to choose from. I am still working on the best sandwich tomato.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010   #17
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergoober View Post
I think that there are too many variables. lol The best tasting tomato for eating on it's own may not be the best for a sandwich. The best tasting for a sandwich isn't the best tasting tomato for sauce. The best tasting for sauce isn't the best tasting for drying. etc etc.

Thank goodness we have so many varieties to choose from. I am still working on the best sandwich tomato.
Exactly why I now have made this into a science...right up there with wine tasting. I eat a slice by itself with no salt, pepper, or other. Savor the aroma, appearance, taste, and residual flavors. Then, if it offers sufficient promise..I offer it up to the mater sandwich gods..that it might achieve sartori, reach nirvana, and attain true oneness with my essential isness.

NOT REALLY! If it taste good...I eat it!
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010   #18
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

a great tasting tomato on it's own,is the key to a great tasting.....>insert recipe,dressing, or condiment<

no science or tests needed to assure that
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2010   #19
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

For me it is a slice of slightly dry white bread, a FAINT dusting of Tony Chachere's original creole, thats it, after I grab one from the vine a suck its insides out.

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2010   #20
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Different types of tomatoes for different things. I love to bring Kotlas/Kimberly/Stupice-sized tomatoes to work as snacks with my lunch. The size and shape are perfect for 2-3 bites. Eaten alternately with bites of large breadsticks dipped in herbed olive oil they are wonderful.

I like to eat the snappy little grape tomatoes for their taste AND texture...I love that snappy crunch. I glue them onto hardtack (wasa brod to us skandinavians) with cream cheese for hors d'oevres. Regular cherries are soft and don't hold up their end.

For a standard-issue tomatoe sandwich, I like fairly fresh, crusty unsliced bakery (or home-baked baked) white bread. But if there's whole wheat around, I'm Ok with that too. Pumpernickel rye makes a good tomatoe sandwhich too, but for some reason I like THOSE with a little saurkraut, LOL! Hellman's mayo, but not the new low-fat olive-oil variety. Kraft is OK in a pinch.

If the grill is going, I like a bruschetta: grill fresh bread until toasted, rub with Garlic and olive oil (or butter) and place a slice of tomatoe and a few basil leaves on it and warm again over the fire, Serve at once; eat while the main dish is cooking if possible.

tomatoes baked on a pizza crust are nice. If you're into homebaked, especially if you've built an outdoor wood-fired oven, make your pizza crust just a little "wet", add a few tomatoe slices, kosher salt and olive oil, (no sauce) and bake it in a HOT (600F) oven...the steam from the excess moisture makes for large bubbles and a chewy texture. Sprinkle just a bit of any cheese as it comes from the oven to let the heat of the pizza melt and enjoy while still hot.
Old June 27, 2010   #21
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R View Post
For me it is a slice of slightly dry white bread, a FAINT dusting of Tony Chachere's original creole, thats it, after I grab one from the vine a suck its insides out.

Paul R

ahhh good ol' tomato vampirism lol
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote