Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2010   #1
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Default So excited!

Okay, this is my first year and I "officially" have 19 different varieties (one plant each). I say "officially" because I have a few small mystery plants that may be too small to do anything this year anyway.

My 5 yo's Yellow Pear has 20+ babies on it and my Matt's has about 10, both have plenty more blooms! And yesterday, with VEEEEERY close examination I discovered that my Super Sioux, Creole, German Johnson PL, and Mortgage Lifter all have the TINIEST little tomatoes starting to grow!!!! I think my Opalka, Cherokee Purple and Legend are the only ones that don't have so much as a hint of a bloom on them!

The Yellow Pear and German Johnson (PL) were planted the 3rd week of April, the Cherokee Purple was planted May 15th (but has been moved at least twice), everything else was planted May 29th and were pretty large at the time.

It's interesting, I have Early Giant DTM 60, Legend DTM 68, Matt's Wild Cherry DTM 65 and Mr. Stripey DTM 56... Mr. Stripey and Early Girl are barely starting to get blooms and Legend isn't even THINKING about it!

Looking at my list of 19 with all their DTM's and knowing how things are progressing just goes to show that "DTM" is very much an estimate, lol.

Now that I'm done "gushing" I'll ask a couple questions...

I noticed the first few Yellow Pears and the first Matt's on June 4th... will they EVER get ripe?

Since I only have one of each plant, should I not save seed? The whole genetic diversity/integrity issue...

Thanks!!!
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2010   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Save the seeds and share them with friends.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2010   #3
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

You have quite a variety going there I was wondering if you ever have grown Legend DTM before? I have 2 plants this season growing about 18 inches high. I have found very little reading material from home gardeners outside of it being "late blight" resistant >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Talon
Old June 23, 2010   #4
Fred in Maine
Tomatovillian™

From first tiny fruit set to first ripe fruit, Yellow Pear was 3 weeks for me last year. Some varieties took 6 weeks. It is sooo hard to be patient when you start to see those babies being born.
Fred in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2010   #5
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

dustdevil, I have no friends that garden... But I will certainly offer any extras to my new online friends!

talon, nope, this is my first year growing tomatoes, EVER, lol, can you tell I take things to the extreme? I didn't even pick Legend, it was one of 4 "bonus" plants I got with my order, and it's the only determinate plant I have.

Fred, THANK YOU!!! It's good to have a time frame in mind! Maybe the wait will be a little easier now!?
Old June 23, 2010   #6
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

shlacm,

I know where you're coming from, this is my 2nd year growing tomatoes, and last year hardly counts since I only had 8 generic cherry tomato plants.

Definitely save seed if you're up to it; its pretty easy and can give you a large supply of tomato plants for next year, or to trade/share/give to others. I started my tomato craze last year by saving seeds from one Green Zebra tomato I purchased from a farmer's market-I have 6 GZ plants in the ground and one in a pot, so one tomato can turn into 100's, I also gave some plants away to family and friends, who could turn a free tomato plant down?

Danwigz
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2010   #7
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

I am in the same boat this year as well....first time growing anything other than some early hybrids on occasion. I say go big or go home...so I grew from seed this year and ended up with well over 65 plants. I only had room for 14 lol. My neighbors now call me the crazy tomato lady (I dropped of many plants to various neighbors then made my husband take the rest to work to give away).

I want to try to save some seed this year if I have anything that I feel is worth it.

I did give my yellow pear to a friend...she says it is doing great so far. She must have blossoms on it by now. We are a bit behind you up here in zone 5.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2010   #8
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

lol, crazy tomato lady! My husband compared me to his alcoholic sister... I believe that to be a gross exaggeration!!!

I figure that the more varieties I try, the more chance I have of finding at least ONE that I like!!! You see, I haven't had a good tomato in nearly TWELVE years - not to mention GREAT!!! So, I'm on a mission!!! And my list for next year is already HUGE!!!If a great tasting tomato can be grown in Central VA, I WILL GROW IT!!!