Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 1, 2006   #1
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Giant PL and RL

Here’s a picture comparing Green Giant PL, Green Giant RL, and Grub’s Mystery Green.
I planted 4 Green Giant seeds, 3 came up RL, & one PL. I grew one of each.

Both Green Giants looked very similar at picking but I was surprised by how yellow the RL tomato turned sitting on the counter.

Tasting the three I’d say Grub's Mystery Green is best with a more complex flavor than the GG PL. #2, I did enjoy the GG PL’s tartness, great texture and overall taste. Number 3 would have to be the GG RL. The taste was similar to a very good Yellow, but one without any citrus overtones. It also had a great texture, very dense, not crisp, & not mushy at all. DW liked it best with GMG a close second. Guess I’ll have to save seeds and see what pops up next year.

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2006   #2
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the pics they look real JUICEY ! my wifes mouth hasn't drooled like that since she met me. :wink: (LOL) anyway i bet they tasted as good as they looked and keep the pictures comming.
Old August 1, 2006   #3
bully
Tomatovillian™

Awesome pictures once again and very informative.

I tried to make a picture of a 3 colored tomato, it didn't work out and I would love to see your take on it.

Forgive me if this is hi-jacking

I sliced 3 different tomatoes that were about the same size. i sliced them into 3 pieces, then I mixed the pieces and built 3 multi-colored tomatoes.

The other way would be harder but would be neat too.
that would be to slice them into wedges and then rebuild them.

I'll see if I can find my attempt in my pic file.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2006   #4
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully
I sliced 3 different tomatoes that were about the same size. i sliced them into 3 pieces, then I mixed the pieces and built 3 multi-colored tomatoes.

I'll see if I can find my attempt in my pic file.
Sounds like a lot of work. Wouldn't Photoshop be MUCH easier? I guess it wouldn't too difficult if you had a pile of tomaotes to choose from. Orrrr, should I be reading the fine print on this one.

Quote:
**WARNING**
Tomatoville Official Disclaimer
This member is prone to joking around, having fun, loads of sarcasm, gross exaggeration and other fits of fancy.
They were excellent Daylilydude!

Bruce
Old August 1, 2006   #5
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Now I'm wondering what this one will be called: Rainbow Sac? Kaleido Sac? Bully's Family Jewels?

I'm sure our beloved Bully could do stand-up. And we could probably get him for a contra dinner deal at Hooters.

BTW: Interesting pic of Paul Robeson fruits in a recent post hereabouts from a Tomatovillian. I haven't grown it, but it reveals similar fruit in terms of shape and size to GMG. It was from a pack of Paul Robeson that the crossed or mutant GMG seed emerged. I'm supposing it is a parent. But not sure if the red, yellow and green variants mean there are more than two parents.

Any way, I'm keen to see the tomato five fruits...
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2006   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
Now I'm wondering what this one will be called: Ranbow Sac? Kaleido Sac? Bully's Family Jewels?
Earl's Faux, of course
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2006   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Amazing pictures, Bruce. The GG RL looks and sounds promising (yes, save seeds) :wink:

Edited to add -- my Green Giant fruits hardly blushed at all, especially on the outside. Sometimes I could see some pink when sliced.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2006   #8
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
Now I'm wondering what this one will be called: Ranbow Sac? Kaleido Sac? Bully's Family Jewels?
BFJ is already taken. :wink:

Bruce
Old August 1, 2006   #9
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
my Green Giant fruits hardly blushed at all, especially on the outside.
Hi Suze,

It sat in a bag with red tomatoes for almost a week. I was very surprised when I went to find it.

I wonder if maybe the GG RL is a cross. BTW forgot to mention the yellow is soft and delicious with a perfect texture but the green shoulders are very crunchy. Almost like a very crisp apple. I haven't seen anything like it.

Bruce
Old August 1, 2006   #10
bully
Tomatovillian™

Ok, consider this a rough draft.

The knife was too serrated and the red should have been in the middle to contrast the yellow and orange.

also the angle of the camera should have been lower.
I would have tried again but it looked so good.....I ate it

for the record this would constitute more as a 'fits of fancy' than joking around.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2006   #11
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Cocktail

Take a tip from the old cocktail shaker with more moves than Boris Spassky.

Place a similarly sized, sliced round of buffalo mozzarella between each layer, stab with a toothpick, lay a pile of the suckers on a white tray, dress with finally slice basil leaf, season with salt and pepper, and dress with your best EVOO. Let sit for 30 minutes then share around.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote