Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 29, 2006   #1
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

Default seed to seed book

I just got my copy of seed to seed, I have not read the entire thing just yet but it is wonderful so far, I am glad I bought it, it is definetely worth every penny. It talks about how to save your own seeds not only from tomatoes but also from other vegetables as well.
Did you know that if you want to obtain seed from a very small tomato, currant type you can place the whole thing in a blender or food processor and mash the mixture, the hard little seeds wont get damage! well this was certainly news to me, if you don't have this book and are thinking about saving your own seeds get it is is worth it.

Carmen
jardinlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Carmen,

I'm glad you've discovered Suzanne Ashworth's Seed to Seed book.

The usefulness of it ,as you know, is not that specific for tomatoes, but it's for all the other veggies and info about what crosses with what and so on.

As for her suggestions about seed saving re tomatoes, well, they're hers, and not everyone does it the same way.

For instance, when I'm saving seed from a currant type I like to pop the wee fruits myself and then just drop them into some water and they float.

I get some kind of perverse pleasure from popping them. And the fermentations always proceed well and one gets loads of seed.

But I recommend Seed to Seed highly as I do Carol Deppes book on How to Breed Your Own Vegetables, 2nd edition.
Old July 30, 2006   #3
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
But I recommend Seed to Seed highly as I do Carol Deppes book on How to Breed Your Own Vegetables, 2nd edition.
I recently picked up a copy of Carol Deppes' book from our local library. I would highly recommend it as well. I approached that topic with a vague, distant knowledge of basic genetics from high school biology but her book explained everything so clearly that I was able to follow along easily. Big, big thank you and thumbs up!

I'm glad to see the recommendations for Seed to Seed because I *almost* brought that one home from the library too. I suppose another visit will be in order. :wink:
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2006   #4
jardinlady
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Carolyn,
I do believe you have recommended this book before,I think I may have read it in one of your forums. Yesterday I started reading it and just could not put it down, I think it was about 1:30 when I finnally fell a sleep. It is so amazing how people back then used to hide their precious seeds so they wouldn't be confiscated,and how big companies are purchasing small seed companies and thousands of species are just dissapiaring because of their lack of wanting to preserve the heirloom seeds , I guess it all comes down to the mighty dollar. I am definetely learning a lot.
I also just checked the book(carol deepes book on how to breed your own vegetables) on Ebay and it also looks like a keeper, I might also get it on the near future.

pooklette:
That is a good idea checking it out of the library, I have one very close to my house and I should really join, expecially as many book as I want to read about this subject.
jardinlady is offline   Reply With Quote