Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2006   #1
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Default New Big Dwarf

I have to say I am pleasantly suprised with this variety. It isn't very big at all and has some decent size fruit growing on it, and quite a bit. It was also the first plant to set fruit in my garden---even beat out the cherries and Kimberly. Kimberly isn't doing as well as I expected. Most of my plants had a rough start though with a late frost, wind, and then high temps. I will definatley never need to grow Better Bush again, New Big Dwarf is doing much better than it(kind of an experiment). I can't wait to taste it. It will also be perfect for my Mom who lives in an apartment and grows a few things in pots. I can really see why dwarf plants are becoming so popular.
I'll post some pictures later. It is too hot right now to go out and take pictures.

Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2006   #2
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

I haven't had an opportunity to browse this forum for a while, and I was interested to read your post. NBD didn't do so well in the heat for me - lots of flower drop, but I'll definitely grow it again this season to compare with new dwarfs appearing in the Dwarf Project (reports in the Research and Development forum).

PP
Old July 24, 2006   #3
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Well, it's looking that my New Big Dwarf is a New Big Something Else. I've never grown a dwarf before so I'm not really sure what rugose leaves are supposed to look like, but mine look just like any other regular leaf. Plus it is now 4 feet tall, the same as my other determinates.

I guess I can add that to my growing list of fauxs, which only includes a regular leaf Brandywine Sudduth for sure so far, and possibly what is supposed to be Red Brandywine but is about 1/3 the size of the Bucks County right next to it. Plus my Big Zac is also a runt to this point.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2006   #4
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Barkeater - my dwarves (dwarf's ?) with rugose foliage look like reg. leaf, but the leaves have much more dimension to them - more puckered ...
Old July 24, 2006   #5
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

You mean they look like they're waiting to be kissed?
Old July 24, 2006   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater
Well, it's looking that my New Big Dwarf is a New Big Something Else. I've never grown a dwarf before so I'm not really sure what rugose leaves are supposed to look like, but mine look just like any other regular leaf. Plus it is now 4 feet tall, the same as my other determinates.
My NBD plants topped out at 4 ft. No pics of the entire plant, but I did take a shot of a leaf. As kimpossible mentioned, rugose foliage is usually thicker and kind of puckered.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/112520/

More pictures--
http://nctomatoman.topcities.com/200...rJuly27_03.jpg

http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/..._big_dwarf.jpg
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2006   #7
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

:wink:
Old July 24, 2006   #8
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the pics Suze. I'll look closer at the leaves tomorrow and see if they are similar, but at first glance today I didn't see it. Are rugose leaf plants like potato leaf varietes which cross easier if not bagged? I do have Red Robin in a pot which I think are supposed to be rugose leaves too. I'll compare them then.
Old July 25, 2006   #9
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Bark, as far as I know, the rugose varieties don't tend to cross any more than other varieties.

Yes, Red Robin is rugose.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2006   #10
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default New Big Dwarf

Here are a few photos from my garden of New Big Dwarf. Grew great here in Texas though it did make me exercise great patience awaiting the first fruit to ripen.

Jay

[/img]
BVGardener is offline   Reply With Quote