Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 8, 2011   #1
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Default Help identifying Blue Rockies

Last year I planted 2 blues 225710 and Blue Rockies side by side and when I dug them I think they got mixed up... or not... but now I am not 100% sure of my labeling. One is round and the other in longer fingerling so there is a way to find out probably? If either Tom or the other folks that grew them last year as well read this can you help me get my doubt to rest. I have Blue Rockies as the round and 225710 long/fingerling,but the picture of the original seed from Tom Sampler were both round. The skin color is what got me confused since one in darker blue both round not fingerling. I grew Mule Skinner blues that is elongated but that was between a red and a white so no mixing up possible. This year I am alternating colors due to this little confusion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluetaters.jpg (67.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2010Sampler.jpg (50.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by wmontanez; May 8, 2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: pictures
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

PI 225710 should be round, small, with yellowish flesh. I got it as a phureja but they re-classified it as a andegenum species. Of course, it is a seedling from the original line. Mule Skinner Blues and Blue Rockies should be oval and larger than the 225710.

When I plant potatoes I almost always alternate colors just to make sure I don't make similar mistakes in labeling.

The plot from 2009 should have feral tubers of Mule Skinner Blues and Blue Rockies in situ. I will check out this raised bed area shortly. Even as potatoes are harvested each year....deep growing tubers are likely to emerge again with vigorous plants once again.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote