Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Default Young tomato leaves

I am never sure when researching diseases & deficiencies. Can someone identify this problem. I have it on a Sungold & a Tommy Toe side by side. Other adjacent tomatoes are fine. If no attachment shows I will try again. Sungold leaf.jpg
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

In looking at the translucent spots on some of the leaves-could it be sun scald? Often the spots start clear and then brown and shrivel.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Were these plants started indoors and recently put outside for the first time? My first guess based solely on the picture would be cold damage (not frost/freeze, just cold); other possibilities would be wind burn, sun burn and just insufficient hardening off before putting them outside. More info would help; it's hard to diagnose from just a picture without any other information about the situation.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Default Good chance

Thanks for responses. Both of you could be right. I purchased plants from a very reputable farm & garden center which always has very healthy plants & a large number of heirlooms. I tried to harden off because we had some bright sunshine.
Also, one night the temp dropped to 42°. I am definitely hoping you are right.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Given that information, I'd say almost certainly it's just physical damage from cold, sun or wind. Temps in the 40s will set tomatoes back; it's best to wait to plant until lows are consistently in the 50s. Also, the hardening-off process can take a week or more before planting (if the garden center didn't already do it). Still, tomatoes are pretty resilient and they should recover quickly. Good luck!
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

My T. V. Weatherman saved my Plants that were still in Pots. But 4 Plants in the ground; Tomato Leaves look like you Picture "Chapinz8" from Cold Weather Damage from Frost.

Thank God, I have been too busy to put all my plants in the ground lately. This is strange weather already. We all need to Pray for a normal Farming season this year. Amen!

You did well to cut off the Leafs!!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

My T. V. Weatherman saved my Plants that were still in Pots. But 4 Plants in the ground; Tomato Leaves look like you Picture "Chapinz8" from Cold Weather Damage from Frost.

Thank God, I have been too busy to put all my plants in the ground lately. This is strange weather already. We all need to Pray for a normal Farming season this year. Amen!

You did well to cut off the Leafs!!!!
Old 4 Days Ago   #8
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks

Plants are looking much better now. Pruned one more small branch off of Kellog's Breakfast & the rest look fine.
Old 1 Day Ago   #9
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Yes, My Plants are doing well too. Amen!!!!!

Last edited by MrsJustice; 1 Day Ago at 12:22 AM. Reason: Dyslexia
Old 1 Day Ago   #10
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Yes, My Plants are doing well too from Cold Weather. Amen!!!!!

It was around 10:00 P.M. News; the Weather Man looked into the TV closely and Said "Take your Plants in tonight as the temperature was below 35. I went out in the Dark putting over 3,000.00 potted Plants back in the Greenhouse. My Tomato Plant Sales at Angel Field Heirloom Tomatoes Started GOOD on May 1, 2024.
Out My Tomato Plants in different fields are growing new Leaves. I might send thatnWeaterman some Tomato Plans before I Sell Out.
This unexpected "Cold Weather" only damages the outer structure of the leaves of the Tomato Plant, which just needs to be "Cut Off".
My Tomato Plants with the Tomatoes on them; did not get their levels cut off until today. I just wanted to learn from this strange Weater. The New Leaves were still growing back above the damaged Leaves. So It looks like my Heirloom Tomato Plants are self-healing.