Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 10, 2012   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default using dehydrator to start seeds?

I'm wondering if anyone has used a dehydrator to start seeds. My dehydrator is simple -- plug it in to start, unplug to stop. No settings. But I have 7 trays and can get lower temperatures by using it as a dehydrator on some of the lower levels and putting seeds in moist paper towels in plastic bags, sitting on top of a sheet of parchment paper, on the top layer. But then the seeds would get planted outdoors in a cold frame.

I will experiment with some of my own saved seeds this winter, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried doing something like this.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2012   #2
gixxerific
Tomatovillian™

Never have tried this, I think it would be bad for the seed. Dehydrators get hot I would think they would cook the seed too fast. Plust thair curculation could dry them out too fast.

You can try it and prove me wrong that would be great. But if it was me I would try with just a few seeds at first and something you have a lot of just in case.

Good luck
gixxerific is offline   Reply With Quote