Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 8, 2012   #1
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Default Practicing Control...

So here are my tomatoes, started from seed, grown in my basement this year. Previously, I grew them out in our master bath on a light cart. This year, they've been in the basement under 2 four foot shop lights with 4 t-8 bulbs with night time temps of 57 and daytime temps of 64.

I potted up once into paper dixie cups and once into these clear 16 ounce cups - love watching the root development. They were seeded in Fox Farms Light Warrior and potted up in a mix of Light Warrior and Fox Farms Ocean Forest. They received one very dilute feeding of Neptune's Harvest. I water only from the bottom.

I started them outside this week but have been bringing them in at night. Trying to refrain from planting them in the ground until Sunday. Our temps for this week are 64/56, 70/51, 65/44, 65/42, 69/49. Hopefully the forecast is right and next week we should be above 50 every night starting Sunday. I had planned on putting these out early in Wall o'waters, but I worried the warm temps inside of them might weaken the stems that are really thick and strong right now.

All new for me this year from Remy's Seed Sample Shop. I've grown in homemade earthboxes for years, but these are going in my garden this year.

CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #2
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Pics? This thread confuses me.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #3
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Didn't realize there was an issue posting. They were started from seed, I'm proud of my babies, didn't realize it was a problem. Sorry. I typically just read this forum, was just excited about them and getting ready to plant out, that's all.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #4
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Very nice plants
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #5
bcday
Tomatovillian™

There isn't any problem with your post. The pic is fine and your plants look great. Please feel free to keep us all updated with your garden's progress!
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #6
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I don't think there is an issue with you posting. Maybe Crandew couldn't see the picture? Don't know.

You should be proud of your babies! They are beautiful. I hope you will continue to post because we all get excited about our babies. Heck, that's why I come here!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #7
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Great looking plants, especially for growing under lights! Keep us posted on your progress.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #8
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

I wasn't attacking you, I really cant see any pic. Apparently something is up with my filter. I'm glad you are excited, as you should be
GL
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking babies- they've had a lot of love so far...it's hard not to plant them out when they seem so ready, huh? Let's hope that the rest of May will be mild here in the east.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #10
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Looking good!
Crazy weather in the Northeast this year. (All over for that matter)
I commented elsewhere, we had 80's a month ago, and now we can't get to 70.
I held off planting too. This is absolutely the last week though. (although I said that last week too..)
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #11
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Crazy weather in the Northeast this year. (All over for that matter)
I commented elsewhere, we had 80's a month ago, and now we can't get to 70.
I held off planting too. This is absolutely the last week though. (although I said that last week too..)
We're experiencing the same- if we get the rain they're predicting, the soil may be too wet to work at the end of the week.I may actually have to pot up from the 2x2" containers.Oh, I hope not.
Old May 9, 2012   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
We're experiencing the same- if we get the rain they're predicting, the soil may be too wet to work at the end of the week.I may actually have to pot up from the 2x2" containers.Oh, I hope not.
I finally gave up and potted up last weekend. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to, but they were starting to look stressed in the smaller cow pots and the weather isn't cooperating for an early plant out. Last year I planted out the weekend before Memorial day, and it's looking like that will be this year's plant out schedule as well. So much for an earlier start!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012   #13
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I finally gave up and potted up last weekend. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to, but they were starting to look stressed in the smaller cow pots and the weather isn't cooperating for an early plant out. Last year I planted out the weekend before Memorial day, and it's looking like that will be this year's plant out schedule as well. So much for an earlier start!
At this rate I might be joining you that weekend or it may even be the weekend after that, although many in my area would think I'm crazy to plant out that late. We got another inch of rain yesterday and more is predicted for this afternoon and tonight. My beds are prepared but at the low end of the garden and really soggy. Thurs. night through Sunday are supposed to be fairly dry but then more rain possibly Sun. night through next Fri. depending on which weather forecast I consult. Not only that, but it's been cloudy all week even when it wasn't raining so the plants haven't even made it outdoors during the day for all that time. They are looking really green and pretty so I'm not in a rush to put them out when we've still got nights coming up in the low 40's and all this wetness. I haven't potted them up yet, but if I do, then I really won't be in any hurry to get them in the ground and expose them to the aphids, slugs and even flea beetles! that are already attacking the early ones that I've planted out. Having planted out a few early ones already this year has really helped me be more cautious and patient with the bulk of the seedlings.
Old May 10, 2012   #14
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Since I'm in the same area as you Kath I too am in a holding pattern concerning planting out.
My seedlings have been living outside in a shelving rack greenhouse for the past two weeks.
They have been growing really well with many of them approaching 7 to 8 inches in height.
I'm thinking the beginning of next week might be the right time to move them into the ground.

Julia
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012   #15
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
Since I'm in the same area as you Kath I too am in a holding pattern concerning planting out.
My seedlings have been living outside in a shelving rack greenhouse for the past two weeks.
They have been growing really well with many of them approaching 7 to 8 inches in height.
I'm thinking the beginning of next week might be the right time to move them into the ground.

Julia
If the night time lows would remain in the mid 50's that'd be great but the average lows are still in the mid to upper 40's for the next couple weeks and the record lows are in the low 30s! They're lowering tonight's low and it ranges between 37 and 39 depending on the source. May 10th is the date I lost so many plants in 2010 and the forecast was for 37! Still not sure I want to risk it yet. I'm happy to see the sun and wind this am instead of clouds/rain, though, and I'm hoping this accelerates the soil drying out. If it does, I may be tempted early next week to at least start planting some out but I don't have backups for this batch. We'll see how the 10-day goes.