Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 31, 2012   #1
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Default potting up

I potted up ~140 tomato plants. They went into 3*4 inch and 2*3 inch pots. Most of the plants were taller than the pots, so, I wound the stem around the pot until only the growing tip was above the soil. I had to be careful not to bury the growing tips. Most of the pots will need to be topped up before they get potted up again.

Only four weeks to get a hundred large pots. hoping they all survive I need pots.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #2
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Excellent work! I find it can be a bit tedious but something about potting up plants is also calming and therapeutic to me. I got a good deal on some pots on ebay. I think the shipping was free.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #3
ljp
Tomatovillian™

I don't get happiness spikes; but, it was nice to get them potted up. However, three hours of reaching into the garbage pail I use to hold the potting soil stretched muscles I don't usually stretch.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

I solved my potting problems this year by getting plastic beer cups from the dollar store and punching the holes by hand. They are taller than the classic 3 or 4" pot, so lots of room for deep roots, and they don't take up as much space in the tray, so I can cram more plants under the lights.

The cups are very inexpensive, and punching the holes (while watching TV) was nearly as therapeutic as the transplanting itself. I used the 16 oz cups for tomatoes, and a 9 oz cup for the peppers... 30 for $1.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Good work, LJP. I agree with Jennifer - potting up is zen. I just potted up dozens of foxglove, zinnias, lobelia, and marigolds for my mother's garden, and feel soothed.

I hit the jackpot - bought around 800 assorted size plastic pots and dozens of trays from a couple who bought a home with some old greenhouses in the back. Paid $50. Don't we all love Craigslist?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #6
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I solved my potting problems this year by getting plastic beer cups from the dollar store and punching the holes by hand. They are taller than the classic 3 or 4" pot, so lots of room for deep roots, and they don't take up as much space in the tray, so I can cram more plants under the lights.

The cups are very inexpensive, and punching the holes (while watching TV) was nearly as therapeutic as the transplanting itself. I used the 16 oz cups for tomatoes, and a 9 oz cup for the peppers... 30 for $1.

I have been using the drink cups from the dollar store for a number of years now. They work well for me. I use the 16 oz for peppers and tomatoes. Here they are $2 for a bag of 39 cups. I use a long drill bit and drill bottom holes in a whole stack of cups at once, three 1/8 inch holes per cup. They come in blue and red with white interiors or as a translucent plastic. I like the translucent as you can see some of the root development and can actually see moisture level/saturation when you water.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote