Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 29, 2012   #1
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Cherry and Mule Team Seedlings

This is my first year growing Black Cherry and Mule Team…and I’ve gotta say that the seedlings from both are looking downright wimpy. Is that normal for these two???

Comparing the Black Cherry to another cherry planted at the same time (Tommy Toes), well, there is no comparison. My Tommy Toes are robust and nearly the same size as my bigger indeterminate varieties. The Black Cherry seedlings are tiny in comparison, took forever to sprout, and while they’re green and growing they just seem to be very finely textured compared to the rest. Normal? Or not?

As for Mule Team, it’s about the same story. Slow to germinate and the one seed that did sprout doesn’t seem to be making up for lost time. Not sure what’s typical for this one, but it sure isn’t keeping pace with any of the other varieties. Maybe it’s a late bloomer and will catch up one it’s outside?

Advice?

Thanks!
Old March 29, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longlake View Post
This is my first year growing Black Cherry and Mule Team…and I’ve gotta say that the seedlings from both are looking downright wimpy. Is that normal for these two???

Comparing the Black Cherry to another cherry planted at the same time (Tommy Toes), well, there is no comparison. My Tommy Toes are robust and nearly the same size as my bigger indeterminate varieties. The Black Cherry seedlings are tiny in comparison, took forever to sprout, and while they’re green and growing they just seem to be very finely textured compared to the rest. Normal? Or not?

As for Mule Team, it’s about the same story. Slow to germinate and the one seed that did sprout doesn’t seem to be making up for lost time. Not sure what’s typical for this one, but it sure isn’t keeping pace with any of the other varieties. Maybe it’s a late bloomer and will catch up one it’s outside?

Advice?

Thanks!
No, I don't think it's normal for either variety. Maybe the first year that TGS introduced it b'c they did their own seed production and as Linda said later, when there were complaints, there were too many immature seeds sent out.

But not since then and that was many years ago.

Mule Team and all the other ones that Joe Bratka's father bred, such as Box Car Willie, Red Barn, Pasture and the others, have always given me very strong seedlings and I think that might be true of others as well.

Joe couldn't germinate the ones his father bred so sent them to me and I was able to get up the above, but always wondered what the three varieties I couldn't germinate would have turned out to be like.

Maybe a seed source problem? Were the seeds purchased or traded for and if purchased if you feel comfortable sharing with us where, Fine, if you don't, then not to worry about it.
Old March 29, 2012   #3
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply...I just wasn't sure what these two starts should look like. The Mule Team came as a trade, the original source for that seed was TGS. The BC came from wintersown. I've no complaints though. The Mule Team was a surprise/bonus and I just figured I'd give it a whirl. As for the BC, I'll hold onto one of them and see what happens. If it doesn't pan out I'll try different seeds next year.

I've got to say that the best looking plants so far this season are dwarfs grown from Heritage seeds. Perfect germination, healthy growth, and they're just so DARN cute! Can't wait to see how those turn out.
Old March 29, 2012   #4
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I have grown both and they were strong seedlings. Love black cherry and have probably a few thousand saved seeds that I probably will not be able to start but hope to find lots of good heirlooms at the Minneapolis farmers market with our new little guy from Korea. Only seeds I planted this year was yesterday for frosty f5 and will have to find someone to take care of them as I think we will be traveling by next weekend.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longlake View Post
Thanks for the reply...I just wasn't sure what these two starts should look like. The Mule Team came as a trade, the original source for that seed was TGS. The BC came from wintersown. I've no complaints though. The Mule Team was a surprise/bonus and I just figured I'd give it a whirl. As for the BC, I'll hold onto one of them and see what happens. If it doesn't pan out I'll try different seeds next year.

I've got to say that the best looking plants so far this season are dwarfs grown from Heritage seeds. Perfect germination, healthy growth, and they're just so DARN cute! Can't wait to see how those turn out.
So it looks like both are trades, since the Mule Team seeds from TGS were grown out by someone and then traded to you and you probably don't know much about those traded seeds as to bagged blossoms, how the seeds were saved, I mean what method.

And since Trudi offers almost all on her list from donated seeds you don't know that much about the background of those either.

Have you yhad a chance to read the thread I put up about traded seeds calleded Pretty Please here in the General DIscussion Forum?. It might be worth reading if you haven't already.

Yes, there's always a next year when it comes to growing tomatoes. I still have lots of varieties never grown out as sent me, but then I do have priorities as to what should be grown first, it's called decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old March 29, 2012   #6
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Pretty Please is a great post, Carolyn...definitely worth the read. And you're right about supporting the reputable seed companies. Believe me, I've put my money where my mouth is there
Old April 6, 2012   #7
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Most of my seeds were purchased but I have some that were trades. Feels like I spent a small fortune on seeds in the Fall oh my. I have sown both BC (traded) and Mule Team (purchased) and the BC is getting huge already in it's little 16 oz drink cup. I just potted it up tonight into a 32 oz container. I did notice Mule Team, while growing well, gets a little weird at times with a branch that will curl for no known reason and recover within a few days. Kind of odd.
Old April 7, 2012   #8
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Thanks lakelady. My BC seem to be making up for lost time, and were just moved from their Solo cups to larger containers. They look good now. Mule Team might be one of those I have to try again next year???