Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old January 28, 2017   #1
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Default Which Extinct Varieties Are You Sad To See Go?

I've discovered that Winter Red is no longer available, nor is Early Cascade F1 with the disease resistance (the OP version may or may not retain any disease resistance). I've never tried either but would if they were still around.

I also recall folks saying that Sheriff was a good-tasting storage tomato, but I can't find that one, either.

Good stuff lost, alas.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Solanum lycopersicum 'Porter's Yellow' 1940s - mid 1960s.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Salt, did you ever taste PY?

Nan
Old January 28, 2017   #4
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I want my Applause Tomato back. It is a hybrid and is early with medium to large round red tomatoes. It is high yielding and I never had a disease problem. I can find it at Reimer Seeds which has awful reviews and an Etsy seller. I am not sure if I trust either company. I am not sure if you wanted open pollinated or hybrids and what qualifies as extinct.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Any tomato you wish was here but isn't. Who knows, someone in TV might still have seeds for something we mention...

Nan
Old January 28, 2017   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Rushmore Hybrid - discontinued by Gurney circa 1976-80. Years later I found some ancient seeds in a cupboard, but none germinated. It was of Sioux parentage, but to me, way better. But it turned out to be a good thing when it went out of production, because I was not satisfied with any of the other similar red hybrids around, and found my way to heirlooms and OP's.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I didn't get to taste it. I was born in 65. My wife and I really like Porter tomatoes, and would like to taste the Yellow Porter.

I do hope someone might have some seeds stashed away somewhere. I'm looking up Solanum lycopersicum - so far I've found Porter https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlo...l.aspx?1203351
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I've discovered that Winter Red is no longer available, nor is Early Cascade F1 with the disease resistance (the OP version may or may not retain any disease resistance). I've never tried either but would if they were still around.

I also recall folks saying that Sheriff was a good-tasting storage tomato, but I can't find that one, either.

Good stuff lost, alas.
I think you mean this one,not Sheriff.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Zhiraf

To me the word extinct is a relative term since probably someone somewhere has it. When I look at the names in the link above I think one of them may probably still have it. I could look in my SSE Yearbook to check but right now it's too dark to do that here by my computer.

BUT,the problem with many,myself included is that old seeds are difficult, often impossible to germinate.

Tania has asked me several times if I have this or that b/c seeds she got from elsewhere were no good,so I send her what I can with fingers crossed.

If you really want the Zhiraf one why not ask for it in the Wanted sub seedForum.

And yes,I've grown it, but for a storage variety I'll go for one of the many de Colgar Spanish ones. But to be honest,personally I have little to no interest in longkeeper varieties.

Carolyn
Old January 28, 2017   #9
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Here's one I've always wished were still around ....

1. Dwarf Yellow Prince - Introduced in 1898. VSC Note: Although it appears that there is a discrepancy in the catalog descriptions, the tomato size did not change, just the standard of measure. It is likely that this was done to more accurately reflect size in relationship to the size of contemporarily available varieties. This variety is presumed to be extinct.
http://www.tomatoville.com/attachmen...1&d=1485648143
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Livinston's Yellow Prince.jpeg (152.9 KB, 377 views)
Old January 28, 2017   #10
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, it's not Zhiraf/Giraffe. There was supposedly one called Sheriff (which is hard to search for; we need tomatoes with weird names...) This quote is found in a few places on the Internet:

In an article in Organic Gardening (Cebenko, 1997), the longer keeping
varieties (in order of taste) were found to be
Yellow varieties Dwarf Gold Treasure, Mountain Gold, and Winter Gold
Red varieties Flavor More, Sheriff, Winter Red

Nan
Old January 28, 2017   #11
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

On second thought, Carolyn, it's possible that someone in the taste testing misheard the name Zhiraf as Sheriff. Maybe I've been looking for a nonexistent tomato.

Nan
Old January 29, 2017   #12
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
On second thought, Carolyn, it's possible that someone in the taste testing misheard the name Zhiraf as Sheriff. Maybe I've been looking for a nonexistent tomato.

Nan
Sandhill does have Giraffe (presumably Zhiraf/Giraffe)

FWIW, I accidentally found that Zolotoe Serdtse and Medovoe Serdtse were decent long keeping tomatoes -- though they're not listed anywhere as such that I know of. I picked them mature green and stored them in a cool area with cool plant lights over them and they ripened slowly over a period of months. I don't know if they behave that way consistently, but might be worth a try if you're looking for long keepers.

On thread topic -- the one I'm sad is (apparently) gone is Livingston's Aristocrat -- it was very popular a century ago, and the description is interesting -- I mention it occasionally in hope that someone will pop up and say "Oh, we've grown that one in this area forever!"

But even if not, the once popular tomatoes are probably not really gone, but are surviving intact as or as a component of finds like "Grandpa's favorite tomato that our family always grows."

Last edited by JLJ_; January 29, 2017 at 09:52 AM.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #13
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post

FWIW, I accidentally found that Zolotoe Serdtse and Medovoe Serdtse were decent long keeping tomatoes -- though they're not listed anywhere as such that I know of. I picked them mature green and stored them in a cool area with cool plant lights over them and they ripened slowly over a period of months. I don't know if they behave that way consistently but might be worth a try if you're looking for long keepers.
JLJ, did Zolotoe Serdtse and Medovoe Serdtse retain a good taste when ripened in storage?

Quote:
On thread topic -- the one I'm sad is (apparently) gone is Livingston's Aristocrat -- it was very popular a century ago, and the description is interesting -- I mention it occasionally in hope that someone will pop up and say "Oh, we've grown that one in this area forever!"
That was one of my ulterior motives in creating this thread. Maybe one of us will get lucky and have our lost tomato found.

Quote:
But even if not, the once popular tomatoes are probably not really gone, but are surviving intact as or as a component of finds like "Grandpa's favorite tomato that our family always grows."
JLJ, that is such a comforting thought! Now I don't have to feel so sad about all the lost ones! You made my day!

Nan
Old January 29, 2017   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

FWIW, I accidentally found that Zolotoe Serdtse and Medovoe Serdtse were decent long keeping tomatoes -- though they're not listed anywhere as such that I know of. I picked them mature green and stored them in a cool area with cool plant lights over them and they ripened slowly over a period of months. I don't know if they behave that way consistently, but might be worth a try if you're looking for long keepers.

My Sandhill catalog is over by my bed, it's the 2016, the 2017 hasn't come yet and I haven't been to the website to see if Linda has updated yet.

There is no Livingstons' Aristocrat. Here is the link to Mike Dunton's section on Livingston varieties and he's the authority on same

http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_livingston.html

However, there is a Dwarf Aristocrat that mike also mentions but via Burpee.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_b...r-century.html

Aha, so there once was a Dwarf Aristocrat but gone with the wind at least a century ago.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dwar..._AUIBygA&dpr=1

and that took me to tomodori and then to ventmarin

http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom...ates_ds_dx.htm

.....last noted in what was it, 1913?

If I could find my Michigan 1939 papers I know I'd find other synonyms for it

You wrote

(But even if not, the once popular tomatoes are probably not really gone, but are surviving intact as or as a component of finds like "Grandpa's favorite tomato that our family always grows.)

and here's a good example

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Jean%27s_Prize

John Jones also told me that no one could remember the name of the original tomato so they renamed it Jean's Prize.

There are several examples like that but it's the first one I remembered.

(I accidentally found that Zolotoe Serdtse and Medovoe Serdtse were decent long keeping tomatoes)

I've grown both and offered them in seed offers and never saw them as long keepers, but where you grow,isn't it Wyoming, perhaps they might be.

Carolyn
Old January 29, 2017   #15
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Paul's Pink Pride seems to have disappeared. I dropped the ball on this one. Found it in SSE seven or eight years ago and now I can't find it anywhere. I sent seeds out to several people and failed to retain seeds for myself. Had too much going on that year and my head was somewhere else.