Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old June 3, 2016   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed from Amazon

Anybody ever order tomato seed from Amazon. I did, they were cheap and free postage. They are came from Singapore and Hong Kong so far, which took me by surprise. The are in little air sealed plastic pouches. Are these seeds going to be safe to use and likely to be correct??? Also order some from Hirt's which came in little zip lock pouch.
Old June 3, 2016   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

There are many sellers in Amazon & eBay, some more reliable than others...
Most likely you'll get something, but when it's from China, it may be anything
If you have the space to grow them, why not.. give them a try!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I've ordered a few seeds from Amazon,as well as a few plants. Not tomatoes but other things. I have an Amazon addiction since I hate shopping in a store and live in such a small town.
I found the prices on plants and seeds higher but when the shipping is included, which it isn't always, it ends up being a good deal. Plus,if it's Prime Amazon is really good taking care of any problems. The non-Prime items I'm more careful as I've had some trouble with a few non-prime returns.
I just got a couple of bay laurel trees yesterday from Amazon. They are tiny but look perfectly healthy.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #4
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I've purchased seeds and plants from Hirts on Amazon. In the past this worked well but I think they've farmed out to others. Last fall I purchased some tomato seed which turned out not to be true and I suspect it's some sort of hybrid and probably came from China. I was really miffed but the plant is growing some lovely and large toms so hopefully they'l taste good.
I had also a couple years ago purchase on Amazon what was supposed to be Egyptian walking onion bulbils and after the sprouted up for me I realized they were allium vinale! So of course I pitched it.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #5
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I bought some from an independent dealer on Amazon. Romeo paste. They turned out to be true, awesome tomatoes for pastes. Well for sauce. i didn't eat any of them fresh, but the sauce was really good from them. It turned out worth the chance, I have some from EBay now that look to not be true, so one never knows!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #6
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

I ordered seeds from Hirts through Amazon. So far germination rate has been excellent and the plants appear true, but we're still a while from seeing any fruit so I'll update when it's definitive. Still, Hirts includes a rambling insert about how different seeds have different germination requirements and that since they can't control customer methods for germination, all sales are final. That was off putting enough that I will not order from Hirts again.
throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #7
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

I am sort of leery about ordering seed from Amazon or Ebay. I thought about ordering some Bitter Melon from Amazon, you would think that I were trying to buy a bar of gold instead! What's more, when I read some customer reviews-many received empty seed packs. As Customs seized the seed. That's one expensive envelope. Amazon is better than ebay though.
The Bitter Melon? I went with Baker Creek last season and had great germination on Green Skin. I knew I'd get something-and great germination with that fickle Bitter Melon makes me say: "Go with a seed seller you know and trust."
I hope this is the best gardening season EVER for everyone!

tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #8
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

Last year I purchased lots of tomato seeds from around the world, some through Ebay. The ones that I tried from China did not germinate well at all compared to any of the others so they wasn't worth the savings made.
kevrow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #9
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Don't immediately equate amazon and eBay. eBay has that deadly 45-day limit to feedback, meaning seed scams are rampant there.

I don't recall that there is a feedback time limit at amazon. I don't think there is. Does anyone know different?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I am unsatisfied with Hirts. I placed a good sized order and sent another order as a gift. It was near Christmas time and I wanted to do some winter growing. Everyone else had closed down for the season.

What I got was either a cutting with no roots, diseased or very small and sickly according to the gift recipient that is experienced. They have an amazingly diverse selection but don't deliver on healthy goods imho.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #11
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Well, my Hirt's all germinated just as well as all my other seed; so at least it was viable.
Old April 18, 2017   #12
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

cecil I like your avatar.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #13
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
cecil I like your avatar.
I think that's the first time ever, anywhere; someone has complimented me on my Avatar. Thank you very much. It's actually a selfie
Old April 19, 2017   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Etsy is another online store to check out. I have seen seeds on Etsy for a lower price than the same seeds from the same person on Amazon and Ebay, probably due to lower vendor fees.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote