Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old August 24, 2014   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

JLJ, I should clarify my book situation.

Yes, about 100 or so already books under the long TV table and then a stack of new ones to be read, then maybe 500 other new ones not yet read, then in the same room a huge bookcase with many of my cherished ones, than either side of the stone chimney that goes up about 30 ft more book cases on either side of that going up maybe 12 ft withones I'llnot reliquish while I'm alive..

Then there's the ones in my back room, my seed packing room, yet more I haven't read, then more here in my bedroom where my computer is, that I have read and always want to keep.

I've always had an obsession with books and I remember as a kid in elementary school using a flashlight to hide from my parents how late I was staying up to read, and once caught on I was banished from using flashlights for that, yes, the old story of you'll ruin your eyes.

I've been collecting books for many decades, many from used bookstores near me wherever I was,many purchased outright b'c I couldn't wait for a hardback to come out in paperback.

When I moved here the movers made somecomment about it being easier to move my piano than it was all the books.

Currently I buy books from Daedalus, Hamilton, The Rue Morgue and sometimes Bas Bleu, but also buy new hardbacks if I must have one ASAP.

For many years I've donated lots of books to the Friends of the Library for their sale each memorial day weekend.

But no one asked the last two years and the librarian said that sales from my books brought in the most money.

So that's one reason that books are accumulating so fast here. I've given thought to contacting the owner of a used bookplace locally, but haven't done anything about it, and not the ones I always will keep. There are three othe librairiesnotfar away and that's another option.

I'm bad. The Daedalus catalog will come, I'll see a few I want and the next thing I know I'm calling in an order for maybe 20.This past Xmas I gave gift certificates from Daedalus, they also list music, and more,to my four regular seed producers.

Hamilton is just as bad,superb values, but have to fill out that long list and send it in b'c they don't take phone orders.

Right now the next one is called Neverland, about the interweaving of J M Barrie of Peter Pan, the Du Maurier family and the Davis family and interviewes with Daphne DuMaurier a year before she died, I think that was in 1989. Looks fascinating

But the US Tennis Open also starts tomorrow.

Carolyn, and no one takes my sci fi books from me,no one.
Old August 24, 2014   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I've got an EPB with green fruit right now, and hopefully there will be some ripe this week. If so, I'll do a side-by-side comparison with the Texas Pink and the Eva Purple Ball. I'll also try and find out more about the lady that the Atrisco vendor got the TP seeds from.

By the way, the Atrisco vendor is surprisingly ignorant about tomatoes. He told me he grows two 50 ft rows of Texas Pink spaced 1 to 1 1/2 ft apart, and tied up on twine between T poles. I asked him if the plant was indeterminate and he had no idea what I meant, but he said it produces fruit continuously (after I asked). I asked him if the crowding of the plants didn't cause disease and he said if a plant gets disease he just leaves it completely alone...no removing, pruning, harvesting or anything. He thinks it causes less damage to just let it die in its place.

I can attest to his growing prowess because the rest of his vegetables are beautiful as is the Texas Pink. I know he had no greedy or malicious intent on renaming the tomato. He just isn't aware of the consequences of doing so.

Charley
I'm glad you are growing EPB this summer so you can make that comparison, and also that you'll ask where the seeds come from.

And I've listed quite a few varieties in my SSE listings and alsoin my seed offers where a family kept growing a variety, the original name was lost so they renamed it.

Jean's Prize was one of them, renamed that b'c she won so many contests with it at a local church fair,

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Jean%27s_Prize

Carolyn
Old August 25, 2014   #18
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
. . . my book situation . . . and no one takes my sci fi books from me,no one.
Our 'book situations' sound similar -- accumulating large quantities of books since childhood. Though I have few I haven't read -- except some technical/reference books that I've read only partly. I used to support library sales when I lived where they were well run, but here, they have a sale, not, in my view, very well run, and whatever doesn't sell they SEND TO THE DUMP. So their view of books is not something I'd want to support.

Science fiction . . . Asimov, Heinlein, Engdahl's This Star shall Abide series? I don't buy many new books, except technical books -- prefer old books I have or those I download from Gutenberg -- like The House that Jill Built, by E. C. Gardner, late 1800's, excellent book on architecture for non-architects, disguised as humorous fiction.

But if Salsacharley writes a book on the history of Texas Pink I shall look for it.
Might turn out to be an interesting story.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #19
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

As an update on the Texas Pink tomato, the grower told me that the woman he acquired the seeds from was named "Rochelle" (sp?) and she was from Texas, and she had been growing Texas Pink in the Atrisco area for the past 30 years.

Here is a side-by-side comparison between Texas Pink and Eva Purple Ball. The white mottling on my EPB is not as substantial as it is on the TP, but that could possibly be attributed to growing conditions. My EPB are in the small range (2.5 oz avg) while the TP average 4.4 oz., the larger one weighing 5 3/4 oz. They are quite similar. I won't present any conclusions because I am far from expert in such matters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato Texas Pink vs EPB 001.jpg (447.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato Texas Pink vs EPB 002.jpg (465.2 KB, 90 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #20
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default Texas Pink

Hi Carolyn

The other one with the white stippling would be Redfield Beauty.

Neil G.
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree View Post
Hi Carolyn

The other one with the white stippling would be Redfield Beauty.

Neil G.
Yes. I remembered and put tania's link in my faves but she doesn't show many pictures so I went ahead and saved a Google IMAGES of it as well, so here's both of them

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Redfield_Beauty

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...47.RImdOigXcXM

Not all are Redfield Beauty in the above link so you have to put your mouse over a picture, for hopefully an ID.

Neil, I'm sure it doesn't happen with you, but with me there's more of a lag time sometimes as I get older when trying to think of a variety name or a person's name.

Carolyn