Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old November 26, 2013   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
"Toped"? I haven't seen a toped salad in many years. Hope you enjoy it!
Topped a waste of a P if you ask me.
I'm going to go out and start the save the ((useles)) extra ((leter)) foundation.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2013   #17
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I tried hrd to typ "Worth" without all the useles extra leters and wound up with:

" "

I wonder if it is because Worth is a huge belly laugh looking for a place to happen?

Last edited by Fusion_power; November 26, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2013   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

OMG, Flaming Burst is beautiful!! Kudos, Tom.

I really liked Jaune Flamme, which was very tasty and one of the "three out of ten" varieties that produced any tomatoes for me in a really really bad supremely cold and wet year. It was late getting started, but kept going into the fall.

The seedlings seemed to be affected by one or more seedborne viruses, though, and although I nursed them through it, the same symptoms seemed to be present in the next generation and were culled for that reason. (Looked like cucumber mosaic and/or some combo of mosiac viruses). I will have to find another seed source to get this one back in my bank of 'grow again' varieties.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #19
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Resurrecting this older thread, while I am waiting for the Jaune Flamme fruits to ripen.
Looks lovely - a very striking clear yellow/green with hints of that bright orange.

There seems to be another French tomato called Peche Jaune, one that looks like a cross of JF and Garden Peach. Any info on that one? Tatiana's tomatobase had no mention of it.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Resurrecting this older thread, while I am waiting for the Jaune Flamme fruits to ripen.
Looks lovely - a very striking clear yellow/green with hints of that bright orange.

There seems to be another French tomato called Peche Jaune, one that looks like a cross of JF and Garden Peach. Any info on that one? Tatiana's tomatobase had no mention of it.
Tania does have a page for it but not specific information.

Jaune Flammee, which came to the US in a huge trade that several of us did with Norbert in France in 1992 is very different from Peche Jaune, which goes by several names and is one one of the fuzzy surface ones, along with Nectarine and several more of that kind,

Two very different and distinct varieties.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=peche+jaune+tomato

Above is a google search that will tell you anything you want to know about Peche Jaune.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old July 12, 2014   #21
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! It was because of the fuzzy surface I assumed it might be related to Garden peach. It looks lovely on the web page where I first saw it.
Old July 19, 2014   #22
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

People went nuts over Juane Flammee that I grew this year, they were loaded with hundreds of golf ball size, bright orange tomatoes, and the flavor burst was great, is great. Odd, the first several ripe fruits were not so good, kinda bland mushy, but did that ever change.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2014   #23
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I need to give this one another chance I think. I grew it once and it completely underwhelmed me and I even gave my seeds away. Everyone else seems to love it so there must be something to it and I will have to have another go
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2014   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I need to give this one another chance I think. I grew it once and it completely underwhelmed me and I even gave my seeds away. Everyone else seems to love it so there must be something to it and I will have to have another go
Karen

You gave your seeds away?

I've kept every seed I ever saved since 1990.

Now you probably mean newish seeds in a packet, but the last seeds I ever tried to buy was in 1998 when that summer I grew out the varieties for photogaphy for my tomato book and found that my Dr. Carolyn seeds were AWOL.

I got them from Linda at TGS, and she refused to take money from me, but the intent was there, as thanks for all the varieties I'd sent her for trial.

Finally,just repeating that I loved Jaune Flammee from the first time I grew it which was, I think,in 1993,one of many....I just had to check sources in my book and yes, mine were from Norbert,b'c there were three others who also participated.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...e_Flamm%C3%A9e

Neil says he got seeds in 92 from Bill Minkey, another person who paricipated in that trade , so maybe JF was one he got and shared as we all did.

makes no difference, for all of us listed what we got in the SSE Yearbooks so others had access to them and I know that growing out all that were sent to me I sent many of the better ones to some seed companies for trial.

Carolyn
Old July 19, 2014   #25
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

yes Carolyn, commercial seeds because I didn't like it enough to save any. My seeds were organic from the "seeds of change " line I believe. perhaps it was just the year but for me as I recall they were sweet and watery and boring but it was several years ago. I'll get some new ones and have another try next year. Maybe I'm a better tomato grower now than I used to be as well.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2014   #26
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

KarenO, please do! I can't imagine our garden without Jaune Flamme. We all just love them! My plant this year wasn't in the ground until May 27, so only 53 days and nothing is ripe yet, but the plant is very healthy and loading up with fruit. There are more tomatoes and blossoms than leaves, I think! It's one that doesn't seem to mind the desert heat, either (though I guess that doesn't matter to you in Alberta!)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2014   #27
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

My JF plant is full of fruits and the first one is showing color. Looking forward to tasting this one, for the halth benefits alone
Old July 20, 2014   #28
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

I bummed a plant off a tomato-manic friend this year. Investigations had led me to believe it was a tomato of interest.

So far I say on a scale of 10.

Beautiful color -9.5
Very good fruit set -8.0
Early -8.0
Texture is meaty, not watery -9.0
Taste is fruity, not too sweet or too tart -9.5
Plant is trouble free -9.0

An 8.84/10
Definitely a winning tomato
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2014   #29
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Interesting that the fruit are not round in shape!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2014   #30
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Mine are growing but still no colour change. I've been very anxious to try this one! Hope it's worth the wait! Mine are the same shape I think. I'll have to check!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote