Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old August 30, 2013   #31
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

It's an interesting suggestion Vladmir that the name may have been applied to different tomatoes right from the beginning.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013   #32
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Tom, remind me to send you some Piennolo del Vesuvio seed. It is an interesting variety for a number of traits including thick skin that has low moisture permeability.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2013   #33
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

TYPE A TOMATO Piennolo - Varieties of cherry tomatoes in clusters that are suitable to be kept hanging in the air, suitable for traditional sauces . Fruit medium-small, elongated weighing 20-30 grams, thick skin, the sweet taste prevails over the acid component. The collection is made when all the fruits have turned to red.Cultivation , long-cycle varieties lends itself be planted late in the season and cultivated with little intervention irrigation. The development of the plant is indeterminate and requires support. parasitic Attacks : Moderately resistant to insects and cryptogamic attack. Pruning green : it requires little effort to scacchiatura and sfemminellatura. transplant Distance : cm. About 70 from row to row, cm. 25 about the row.
Pienollo del Vesuvio=Fiaschella; Pienollo del Vesuvio=Lampadina; Pienollo del Vesuvio=Patanara; Pienollo del Vesuvio=Principe Borghese; Pienollo del Vesuvio=Re Umberto; Pienollo del Vesuvio=???.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2013   #34
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Pruning green : it requires little effort to scacchiatura and sfemminellatura. transplant Distance : cm. About 70 from row to row, cm. 25 about the row.

Vladimír
I didn't realize that they planted them that dense. Is there a reason behind that except to save space?
Old September 1, 2013   #35
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Is "Piennolo del Vesuvio" (the potato leaf from Tatiana's) a specific variety or a type? I started wondering after reading the recent threads on the piennolo types.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013   #36
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
I didn't realize that they planted them that dense. Is there a reason behind that except to save space?
I aspire to plant Principe Borghese anyhow pienollo tomatoes are planted on the Vesuvio. This is extract from „Production Regulations the Protected Designation of Origin "Tomato Piennolo of Vesuvius"-

Plant: must be carried out between 15 March and 15 May with the planting of rooted plants
in seedbeds prepared the soil or growing tray.
Systems and planting distances: the planting density should be between 15 to 30 cm
on the row and between 80 and 120 cm between the rows.

http://www.agricoltura.regione.campa.../piennolo.html

Vladimír.
Old September 3, 2013   #37
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

The only tomatoes that I would plant at that density are compact determinates such as Principe Borghese. This is roughly 1 foot by 2 feet planting density.
Old September 11, 2013   #38
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I posted this question on the italian web- http://www.agraria.org/ :
Are they growing around of Vesuvio likewise the old varieties of tomato ( Fiaschella, Re Umberto and Patanara) or only Principe Borghese ?
The answer:
are grown only that it is difficult to find the seeds xchč every farmer jealously guards them
should be in possession of a little hanging cherry tomatoes and retrieve the seeds
The moderator Eugenio- he live direct in the area of Vesuvio ( San Giorgio Cremano)
Vladimír
Old September 16, 2013   #39
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I hanged up last Principe Borghese.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10092013496.jpg (442.5 KB, 71 views)
Old September 16, 2013   #40
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Nice. What will the green ones do? It looks like some haved started to blush yet.
Old September 17, 2013   #41
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Dough, the clusters can be to cut when 70% tomatoes is red. The other usually redden . The comparison of the view from 22.8.2013 and 10.9.2013.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22082013419.jpg (360.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 10092013496.jpg (442.5 KB, 79 views)
Old September 17, 2013   #42
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Principe is a very dense meaty tomato. I am not sure how well it will taste after 6 months hanging as clusters in storage. It is a very good tomato for drying.

I am going to put in a large crop of tomatoes next year to check out the potato leaf Piennolo del Vesuvio that I have. It will be interesting to see how long they stand up in storage.
Old September 18, 2013   #43
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Principe is a very dense meaty tomato. I am not sure how well it will taste after 6 months hanging as clusters in storage. It is a very good tomato for drying.

I am going to put in a large crop of tomatoes next year to check out the potato leaf Piennolo del Vesuvio that I have. It will be interesting to see how long they stand up in storage.
DarJones,thank you for your inspiration. I was on the garden yesterday and I harvested some Principe Borghese and crackled cheerry tomatoes (fourteen days is raining). I got them to the drying-plant to test their drying today in the morning.
I don´t know how well it will taste in the winter too, even I don´t know how long hang in Principe Borghese on the clusters. And this incertitude amuse me.
A nice evening Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18092013505.jpg (522.7 KB, 74 views)
Old September 24, 2013   #44
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The dryed Principe Borghese is very good absolutely. There are not peas but tomatoes Principe Borghese on the picture.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Principe Borghese.JPG (65.4 KB, 77 views)
Old April 24, 2016   #45
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

King Humbert (Roi Humbert) is an old Italian tomato variety according to Russian books, old seed catalogs and modern seed sources. Roi=King in Latin language as you know.

In Russia it has been introduced in 1870s by the well-known Russian seedman and breeder Efim Grachev (1826-1877) from St.Petersburg in his commercial seed catalog and became one of the first industrial tomato varieties in Russian Empire early in 1900s until 1917 October Revolution.

Efim Grachev was a pioneer of vegetable breeding in Russia. He has bred more than 200 varieties of potatoes, turnips, cabbages, corn, carrots, peas and other vegetables. He has collected a huge amount of old local and foreign varieties and has won a lot of awards abroad participating in Russian, French, German and American (Philadelphia-1876) exhibitions. He liked to show a giant culvivars in international Exhibitions (2-3 times larger than nornal size). For example, at Vienna Agricultural Ex he was the only one participant from Russia, but all were impressed and even shocked of his really giant white cabbage d60cm and many other giant vegetables presented.
There were some other well-known foreighn tomato varieties in his seed collection: Victoria, President Garfield, PONDEROSA, Mikado, Fikarazzi, Tom Tumb and many more...

My oldest collected Russian gardening book by Mikhail Rytov "Gardening in protected ground" (printed in 1915) says" Korol Gumbert (King Humbert) has got red, small plum shaped fruit (sometimes a bit ribbed), up to 10 fruit per a truss. A great productivity while growing in greenhouse in the North. Can be good enough in open ground in hot years."

There is no pointed end on a fruit as you can see.

It has been still popular in USSR times from 1917 till World War II...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; April 24, 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote