Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 29, 2015   #31
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Thank for the history - always interesting to learn how tomato varieties got their name.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #32
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Instead of Odoriko, you should try Sakata Seeds's Reika. I prefer the richer more robust flavour of Reika to Odoriko.

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #33
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin View Post
Instead of Odoriko, you should try Sakata Seeds's Reika. I prefer the richer more robust flavour of Reika to Odoriko.

Jeff
Jeff,

Is there a Canadian /US source for buying Sakata seeds?

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #34
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Jeff,
Is there a Canadian /US source for buying Sakata seeds?
Raybo

Ray, I hope Jeff or someone else found a source they'd like to put a good word in for.

I've tried in the past to get some other Sakata varieties from 'distributors' and had bad luck. I called several promising sounding names on this list and found they just had a few boring seeds, meaning I didn't find that there was one stockroom sort of source available, especially to home gardeners, though there are many companies there, and for all I know Burpee may just have the one I want relabeled...

Maybe someone in Japan sells seeds packs? Don't even know if they can be mailed from Japan but it's worth a shot ... Or one of us could give Kitazawa a call and ask if they might have get some special ordered sent over since they are probably always receiving shipments and have attentive customer service. I'd be glad to split the cost with anyone for the "Sun Road" variety if it is something not in the US under a different name already. Even if you want different varieties it might be worthwhile consolidating a want list here.. Just an idea if you want to take the lead LOL
Cheers
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #35
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

They have a pretty decent writer.

http://www.sakata100th.jp/english/episode/02/
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #36
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I did some sleuthing and apparently, all of these carry Sakata seeds:

http://www.sakatavegetables.com/inde...List/index.htm

I also looked at the Mexico distributor, and it seems they only have limited varieties, and none of the prized ones mentioned in the 100th episode of its history #35 I posted earlier:

Amai, Hermosa, Mariana, Monica, Optimax, Premio, Supremo, Sweet Elite, Sweet Hearts, Sweet Treats, XDR 8057, 8071, XIR 8036. are available and that's it.
Old July 30, 2015   #37
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I did some sleuthing and apparently, all of these carry Sakata seeds:

http://www.sakatavegetables.com/inde...List/index.htm

I also looked at the Mexico distributor, and it seems they only have limited varieties, and none of the prized ones mentioned in the 100th episode of its history #35 I posted earlier:

Amai, Hermosa, Mariana, Monica, Optimax, Premio, Supremo, Sweet Elite, Sweet Hearts, Sweet Treats, XDR 8057, 8071, XIR 8036. are available and that's it.
Gerardo,

The link you posted in link #35 is the same link I posted in #30, looking for Sun Road. (Es la misma liga amigo)

Your present link you sleuthed saying"all these carry Sakata seerds" on distributors is the same link I posted earlier and said I called several a few months back, and found they had uninteresting and very very limited varieties.

The Mexican list you gave is not from a distributor, it is from Sakata itself who have offices in Mexico and those few (12) are varieties that some distributors in Mexico might be able to order. But unless you want to go to Guadalajara, it might be easy to go to:
http://www.sakatavegetables.com/inde.../144/index.htm

which is the list of possible tomatoes (40 varieties) distributors have to choose from in the US, which are generally suited for commercial farming. I noticed Pink Cupcake which I have grown and gotten from Johnny's in on the list, so when Sakata says retail or home garden I think that is their distribution model, so probably the best ones among the 40 are all being sold to Johnny's, Burpees and Ferry-Morse where they are readily available.

Most of the people at the US "distributors" that answered the phone when I called a ferw months ago knew very little about the Sakata seeds they did carry for retail ... not even where they were getting them from .
Sakata seems to strangely have listed a combination of Mom and Pop and a few bigger retail shops and places like Ferry Morse, Burpee, etc., to whom they sell several of their top Home Garden varieties like Sweet Treats. The repackagers repack the seeds under their own brands. It is possible some of the repackagers have renamed some varieties that we don't know but that is hard to tell so there could be a variety of two we already know under another name.

Unfortunately, Sakata is really a wholesale seed company outside of Japan. Suerte,
Old July 30, 2015   #38
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRedHeart View Post
Gerardo,

The link you posted in link #35 is the same link I posted in #30, looking for Sun Road. (Es la misma liga amigo)

Your present link you sleuthed saying"all these carry Sakata seerds" on distributors is the same link I posted earlier and said I called several a few months back, and found they had uninteresting and very very limited varieties.

The Mexican list you gave is not from a distributor, it is from Sakata itself who have offices in Mexico and those few (12) are varieties that some distributors in Mexico might be able to order. But unless you want to go to Guadalajara, it might be easy to go to:
http://www.sakatavegetables.com/inde.../144/index.htm

which is the list of possible tomatoes (40 varieties) distributors have to choose from in the US, which are generally suited for commercial farming. I noticed Pink Cupcake which I have grown and gotten from Johnny's in on the list, so when Sakata says retail or home garden I think that is their distribution model, so probably the best ones among the 40 are all being sold to Johnny's, Burpees and Ferry-Morse where they are readily available.

Most of the people at the US "distributors" that answered the phone when I called a ferw months ago knew very little about the Sakata seeds they did carry for retail ... not even where they were getting them from .
Sakata seems to strangely have listed a combination of Mom and Pop and a few bigger retail shops and places like Ferry Morse, Burpee, etc., to whom they sell several of their top Home Garden varieties like Sweet Treats. The repackagers repack the seeds under their own brands. It is possible some of the repackagers have renamed some varieties that we don't know but that is hard to tell so there could be a variety of two we already know under another name.

Unfortunately, Sakata is really a wholesale seed company outside of Japan. Suerte,
I should have clicked on it, but I guess we'll just say we arrived at the same destination!
I did notice their strategy of diversification in terms of who sells their stuff. I sincerely hope their Bot picks up on this conversation and takes some of our frustration into consideration and up the corporate food chain.
As more and more people begin to grow their own stuff, I suspect these large multi-tentacled operations will develop a direct sale mechanism for home gardeners.
As I was perusing the MX options, I just clicked on my home state and saw there were 3 or 4 distributors relatively close by. I figure next time I'm in Mexicali I could go to them and ask. Maybe, big maybe. And I don't really like GDL.
It doesn't surprise me they were more or less clueless as to the origins of the seeds they sell.

Sweet Treats seems to be everywhere.

Momotaro and Odoriko will be more than enough for me.
Old July 30, 2015   #39
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I should have clicked on it, but I guess we'll just say we arrived at the same destination!
I did notice their strategy of diversification in terms of who sells their stuff. I sincerely hope their Bot picks up on this conversation and takes some of our frustration into consideration and up the corporate food chain.
As more and more people begin to grow their own stuff, I suspect these large multi-tentacled operations will develop a direct sale mechanism for home gardeners.
As I was perusing the MX options, I just clicked on my home state and saw there were 3 or 4 distributors relatively close by. I figure next time I'm in Mexicali I could go to them and ask. Maybe, big maybe. And I don't really like GDL.
It doesn't surprise me they were more or less clueless as to the origins of the seeds they sell.

Sweet Treats seems to be everywhere.

Momotaro and Odoriko will be more than enough for me.
They will not re-organize the distribution/retail sales any time soon over the Internet, because no wholesale company will cut out its middleman (Burpees, FMs, Johnnys's, Botanical Interests's, etc.) The seed business just does not work that way, none of the commercial seed companies do that out of a gentleman's agreement with their customers not to cut out their own customers' sales. They have no interest or staff to do the face time and administration with the small sales ... let along address returns and complaints from little guys. They are in the production and breeding business.

The mechanism is that their customers like Burpee will pick varieties suited for US growing regions and techniques and deal with people, collections and returns and selling to local retailers. So if Burpee or Johnny's, etc., don't pick the variety, it is simply not prepared or shipped for the US. International commercial producers like Sakata preparing phytosanitary certificates, etc., do germination checks, etc., so it's not a simple business like just putting a packet in an envelope and slapping a stamp on it, because even if they could, it would rock the boat because they would then be competing with Burpees, Johnny's with varieties those customers couldn't even offer, marginalizing the importance of what was offered... and undermine them. That said, Sakata sells retail seed and garden within Japan in Japanese language only, and will not ship or collect money internationally for that. Here, its competitors Monsanto, Syngenta do not sell retail at all.

I have Rose Quartz, supposedly Japanese originally, which is an OP and really productive and juicy delicious and the cherries a real big, and it's a good heat setter. If you want a really fun addition to tough boy and dancing girl without jumping through hoops, RQ might be your akachan (baby). I wonder how similar it is to Odoriko and Momotaro in taste???
Cheers
Old July 30, 2015   #40
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I figured as much, for a second there I forgot about the power of middlemen.

I have friends all over Asia, but none in Japan at this time.

One of the sales reps here in MX might be amenable to some sort of deal, since proper incentives shatter all barriers quickly.

I lose nothing by asking. Next time I'm in Mexicali I'll hook up with one of the 3 reps they have in the city and see what happens. I'll post a report.

You're looking for "Sun Road." Any others on the wishlist?
Old July 30, 2015   #41
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I figured as much, for a second there I forgot about the power of middlemen.

I have friends all over Asia, but none in Japan at this time.

One of the sales reps here in MX might be amenable to some sort of deal, since proper incentives shatter all barriers quickly.

I lose nothing by asking. Next time I'm in Mexicali I'll hook up with one of the 3 reps they have in the city and see what happens. I'll post a report.

You're looking for "Sun Road." Any others on the wishlist?
Sakata and Takii (producer of "Momotaro") specifically won't send many varieties to the US because they don't want them here for whatever reason, according to a knowledgeable distributor dealing with both who I just got off the phone with.

You just need a friendly man on the ground in Japan. Momotaro is one of the OK ones and as Carolyn seemed to originally think, it is known in the US by its maker as the hybrid Tough Boy 93, or simply Tough Boy which refers to the same tomato presently, though not with the exotic ring to the name. You can buy Tough Boy from Totally Tomatoes (Tough Boy link) too if you happen to order from them, or Jung, which is an authorized distributor, in case no one has mentioned that before.

Thanks Gera, I guess no tomatoes will get harmed in asking your local Mexican sales guys. I just got a variety I wanted and had to pay for 30,000 seeds from another unrelated foreign smaller commercial seed company, plus pay for the certificate and express shipping, and this was the "sample" size jajaja.

Odoriko and Momotaro are really good choices since they appear to be hybrids proven to be good varieties for home garden for the Japanese tastes. Maybe a good tasting 1980s nipple-type Japanese one would be good, but which one?

In addition to the 100 years anniversary webpage where Sakata claims it is super flavored, Sun Road" = サンロード
seems to be a go-to tasty, organicky tomato for farmers to direct ship farmer market style in Japan. How could any red-blooded tomato eater liking various Asian flavors pass that one by for a taste if given a chance to grow one?
Cheers
Old July 30, 2015   #42
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

One thing about the name "Tough Boy", is that many people may think that it is part of the family of the other "boy" varieties, such as Big boy, Better boy, Wonder boy etc., which it definitely is NOT. Momotaro is a much better tasting tomato than all those other "boys" in my estimation.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #43
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRedHeart View Post
Sakata and Takii (producer of "Momotaro") specifically won't send many varieties to the US because they don't want them here for whatever reason, according to a knowledgeable distributor dealing with both who I just got off the phone with.

You just need a friendly man on the ground in Japan. Momotaro is one of the OK ones and as Carolyn seemed to originally think, it is known in the US by its maker as the hybrid Tough Boy 93, or simply Tough Boy which refers to the same tomato presently, though not with the exotic ring to the name. You can buy Tough Boy from Totally Tomatoes (Tough Boy link) too if you happen to order from them, or Jung, which is an authorized distributor, in case no one has mentioned that before.

Thanks Gera, I guess no tomatoes will get harmed in asking your local Mexican sales guys. I just got a variety I wanted and had to pay for 30,000 seeds from another unrelated foreign smaller commercial seed company, plus pay for the certificate and express shipping, and this was the "sample" size jajaja.

Odoriko and Momotaro are really good choices since they appear to be hybrids proven to be good varieties for home garden for the Japanese tastes. Maybe a good tasting 1980s nipple-type Japanese one would be good, but which one?

In addition to the 100 years anniversary webpage where Sakata claims it is super flavored, Sun Road" = サンロード
seems to be a go-to tasty, organicky tomato for farmers to direct ship farmer market style in Japan. How could any red-blooded tomato eater liking various Asian flavors pass that one by for a taste if given a chance to grow one?
Cheers
Well, all I can say is 30,000 seeds made me envision tunnels as far as the eye can see. Wait, I think I've seen this already in San Quintin here in Baja! That's a lot of metric tons of tomatoes.

Odoriko arrives today, or maybe it's already in the mailbox. Seedling mugshots forthcoming. Cheers.
Old October 22, 2015   #44
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I'm wondering how odoriko did, for those who grew it?

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #45
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Still growing, so far so good. A bit susceptible to EB. Trusses averaging 3 fruit set.

Here's 2 Odorikos, at 3 months since seed sowed. I have an additional plant in a converted 5 gal water container, all are about the same.

It's definitely a climber. Taste test soon.

two odorikos.TV.jpg

odoriko fruits forming.TV.jpg