Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old September 18, 2014   #31
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default correction

Carolyn, I believe you meant Neil L. in Illinois.

Thanks

Neil G. (Canada)
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2014   #32
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Dr Carolyn Male.
Sorry I am tired today and not thinking clearly. My brain knew her last name was a synonym for the male gender and I picked the wrong word. I should have looked it up first.
Axixic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2014   #33
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axixic View Post
I have seeds for the white strawberries and never tried them. I guess when it dries out some I will try to grow them. It is our rainy season and the professional growers grow under plastic rows so the plants aren't drenched.
Usually those are Alpine white and yellow strawberries. They are good, but small, and hard to keep going. The pineberries are hybrids (you can't grow them from seed), and very hardy, and bigger too. They are very diifferent white flesh with red seeds. Seem to be easy to grow too. Hard to find! Taste different than the alpine whites or any other strawberry.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2014   #34
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Usually those are Alpine white and yellow strawberries. They are good, but small, and hard to keep going. The pineberries are hybrids (you can't grow them from seed), and very hardy, and bigger too. They are very diifferent white flesh with red seeds. Seem to be easy to grow too. Hard to find! Taste different than the alpine whites or any other strawberry.
It is difficult to bring plants into Mexico so I guess I can't grow them.
Old September 18, 2014   #35
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It is difficult to bring plants into Mexico so I guess I can't grow them.
Mexico is not ideal anyway for strawberries. But best to grow what the locals do anyway! I would give them up to be in Mexico! Soon my butt will turn blue from the cold!

Here's my backyard now

Her's what it's going to look like soon...

Old September 18, 2014   #36
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sorry I am tired today and not thinking clearly. My brain knew her last name was a synonym for the male gender and I picked the wrong word. I should have looked it up first.
I would hate to mention how often I mess up a name. So embarrassing when the person just told me like, a minute ago. LOL!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2014   #37
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I would hate to mention how often I mess up a name. So embarrassing when the person just told me like, a minute ago. LOL!
When I was going to college I worked at the airport and I met many celebrities. The one time I got a name wrong still embarsses me. I called Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon. He was very gracious when I realized my mistake and said, "Don't worry it happens all the time." Very nice man.

I've gotten where I really have trouble remembering names. The problem is most names don't match the person. People should do like Native Americans and choose names when they are older that match them, like Running Bear. That would be easy to remember.
Old September 18, 2014   #38
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mexico is not ideal anyway for strawberries. But best to grow what the locals do anyway! I would give them up to be in Mexico! Soon my butt will turn blue from the cold!
That's why I left Texas, too hot and too cold.

I'm 5000' high so it doesn't get very hot or cold here. I keep orchids attached to trees all year but it has gotten down to 45 F at night in the winter. One time it snowed in Guadalajara and most people had never seen snow so they were amazed.

Lately it has been cool here in the 70's. We can tell where people are from by the way they dress. The Mexicans are bundled up in coats, sweaters, hoodies. The Americans wear regular jeans and shirts. The Canadians wear bermuda shorts. No matter what the weather is the Canadians wear shorts.

Most of us don't have air conditioning and we get by with small electric heaters in the winter. Some sissies have large gas heaters. These houses are all stone like castles are so they can get chilly.
Old September 19, 2014   #39
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
I am exactly the same way. You can tell me your name is, "A" and I will not remember it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Dr Carolyn Male.
Thanks Marsha.

Just noting that I had a professional lifeof teaching and doing research, where I was referred to as Dr.Male but I always kept the Dr."bit" for that professional life.

Otherwise, since 1983 I've signed off at every message site I've ever participated at, whichhas been many, as Carolyn, and that's how I prefer to be called by everyone, thanks.

Carolyn
Old September 19, 2014   #41
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree View Post
Carolyn, I believe you meant Neil L. in Illinois.

Thanks

Neil G. (Canada)
I did mean Neil L in IL and you know it.

Why do the two of you have to have the same first names?

One of you should consider renaming yourself.

Carolyn
Old September 19, 2014   #42
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Here's my backyard now

Her's what it's going to look like soon...

I grew up in Buffalo and now live in SoCal. I thought I'd never miss the cold Winters and snow, but sometimes I kind of do. Not very often, but once in a while. Seeing your pictures makes me miss it.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2014   #43
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Wiseguy View Post
I grew up in Buffalo and now live in SoCal. I thought I'd never miss the cold Winters and snow, but sometimes I kind of do. Not very often, but once in a while. Seeing your pictures makes me miss it.

Irv

Glad you enjoyed it! Yeah I might too, the 4 seasons are nice. We are just hitting fall. today was the first day i noticed some turning of the leaves on the trees. At my cottage I have so many trees, it's like it's raining leaves when they begin to fall. I get about 50 yards of leaves. I try to use them, but near impossible so many of them.

On subject I'll be growing Ester's this next year for sure.