Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old September 17, 2014   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I supplied many folks with Estler's from my seed offer. I hope they will pay it forward, as I only have about 8 left and I'm keeping them for myself!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2014   #17
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for replying.

If there are some available I have a friend visiting the U.S. in late October for a few weeks so maybe she can send a SSAE for the seeds. She is a retired nurse living down here and her joy in life is growing things. She doesn't get around too well now but she has a gardener. Lucky her I wish I did.

Anyway I give her many plants and I've told her about this variety so she is very interested in it.

I don't know why if it is such a good tomato that so few vendors have it.
Axixic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2014   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axixic View Post
Thanks for replying.

If there are some available I have a friend visiting the U.S. in late October for a few weeks so maybe she can send a SSAE for the seeds. She is a retired nurse living down here and her joy in life is growing things. She doesn't get around too well now but she has a gardener. Lucky her I wish I did.

Anyway I give her many plants and I've told her about this variety so she is very interested in it.

I don't know why if it is such a good tomato that so few vendors have it.
Please make a request for this in the Wanted seeds subforum on the homepage. Start a new post requesting it.
Or I found this vendor selling it. http://www.heritageharvestseed.com/t...f.html#estlers
Old September 17, 2014   #19
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

I found that site yesterday. The problem is they are in Canada and they won't ship to the U.S.
Old September 18, 2014   #20
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Try here:
http://www.gianttomatoseeds.com/tomato_seeds.html
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2014   #21
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Thanks, and I did find that site yesterday. Dale responded last night. He has several varieties of Mortgage Lifters and almost any other tomato. I wonder why he isn't on this site as a vendor.
Old September 18, 2014   #22
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks, and I did find that site yesterday. Dale responded last night. He has several varieties of Mortgage Lifters and almost any other tomato. I wonder why he isn't on this site as a vendor.
Not sure? I think he is on other sites, has a blog, so I guess has his hands full. I wanted to add I bought some seeds from him last year, they grew true with good germination rates. Awesome vendor as far as I'm concerned. Cow's Tit is another hard to find, as is many he has! I have so many at this point, I have no plans to buy more. Romeo is another rare one, and all are excellent. I'm more interested in pastes but to tell the truth I have found all tomatoes make good sauce. If you remove seeds, freeze, and when thawed they drop most of the water, a little squeeze helps too, and all you have left is meat. The end product through the food mill is almost sauce already no matter which tomato you use. I have only had to reduce for a short time.

Tomato sauce is cheap, I just do it for fun. Now my blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries do save me lot's of money and they are so good for you. I'm harvesting over 60 raspberries a day. My wife and I eat most daily, but I save maybe 20 a day for this winter.
Old September 18, 2014   #23
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Not sure? I think he is on other sites, has a blog, so I guess has his hands full. I wanted to add I bought some seeds from him last year, they grew true with good germination rates. Awesome vendor as far as I'm concerned. Cow's Tit is another hard to find, as is many he has! I have so many at this point, I have no plans to buy more. Romeo is another rare one, and all are excellent. I'm more interested in pastes but to tell the truth I have found all tomatoes make good sauce. If you remove seeds, freeze, and when thawed they drop most of the water, a little squeeze helps too, and all you have left is meat. The end product through the food mill is almost sauce already no matter which tomato you use. I have only had to reduce for a short time.

Tomato sauce is cheap, I just do it for fun. Now my blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries do save me lot's of money and they are so good for you. I'm harvesting over 60 raspberries a day. My wife and I eat most daily, but I save maybe 20 a day for this winter.
Blueberries are imported here but Driscoll Berries has thousands of acres and it grows strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and I guess some others. I buy strawberries for $10 pesos (70 cents) a kilo (2.2 lbs) so I guess a little under 35 cents a pound. I don't know how much they are in the U.S. because I haven't been back in a few years. Blackberries and raspberries are about the same price here.

I am going to try to grow blueberries. I bought some Southern type seeds. I guess I need a lot of nitrogen.

I gave Tatiana Dale's link. She knows his site and didn't know why he wasn't listed for all of his Mortgage Lifters varieties and some others like Brandywines. I am impressed with him. He seems like a super guy and he has tomatoes I haven't found anywhere else.

Thanks for all your help.

Pam
Old September 18, 2014   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He isn't on this site as a vendor since no one has listed his site in the Seed and plant resources Forum.

If you go to that Forum you'll see that sometimes it's the owner of a site that links to their website, and also others not associated with the site list it b'c they think it's a good site, etc.

When I clicked on the link above I ran through the tomatoes and then went back to the Home page and was surprised to see it was Delectation of Tomatoes, which I already had in my faves from a couple of years ago when someone asked me to check out something.

It should be someone who has had interactions with Dale, or Dale himself to do that link.

Is Dale a Tville member?

Here's a problem I see. The link says giant tomatoes, as I remember, and that is NOT the focus of the site at all, the large number of other varieties available should be the Focus, not competition sized ones.

The other problem I see is that the website itself looks quite unorganized, I think you know what I mean, which is a problem for many trying to find something.

I know it said minimum 20 seeds/pack but I couldn't ASAP find the cost/pack nor shipping costs, but I didn't find time to look.

Could you help me out on that?

I know Dale said he wanted to do descriptions, etc, and I think that should be his immediate focus instead off offering more than the about 900 vareties he says he's offering. Increased interest will only come with fuller descriptions, as Isee it.

Ok, so what's the feedback from what I just wrote? If it's one of you that wants to list it I'd be glad to help write what goes in the first post so that the link doesn't confuse folks, and anything else that might be confusing, as to how to order.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old September 18, 2014   #25
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

No doubt the site is a mess. I've spent quite some time on it and couldn't figure out how to order. I guess I have to email him with an order.

I will send him a link to this thread so that he will join this forum to list his site and maybe find some kid in his neighborhood to fix his website.

When I sold computers I always tried to find a kid to do demos because their brains have more of a knack for software than do grownups.
Old September 18, 2014   #26
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I buy strawberries for $10 pesos (70 cents) a kilo (2.2 lbs) so I guess a little under 35 cents a pound. I don't know how much they are in the U.S. because I haven't been back in a few years.
Pam
Strawberries are cheap, but not the ones I grow, the gourmet white pineberries

Or the rare Musk strawberries
Old September 18, 2014   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No doubt the site is a mess. I've spent quite some time on it and couldn't figure out how to order. I guess I have to email him with an order.

I will send him a link to this thread so that he will join this forum to list his site and maybe find some kid in his neighborhood to fix his website.

When I sold computers I always tried to find a kid to do demos because their brains have more of a knack for software than do grownups.
If he comes to this site he can read all but two of the Forums, but cannot post anything and cannot view pictures until he is a registered member and his firfst post is moderated.

And there's a verylong list of those who want to be registered members.

Just tell him that when he comes here to go to the Legacy Forum to read the thread On Mortgage Lifter, Estler, and if he likes what he sees in the Forum in general he can follow the directions at the top of the page having the info on how to register, as you and all others did to get registered.

Carolyn, who thinks he might know who I am based on all the varieties he lists that I introduced.
Old September 18, 2014   #28
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn, who thinks he might know who I am based on all the varieties he lists that I introduced.
Unfortunately I am not here enough to keep up with everyone but I told him I thought you are Dr. Carolyn Mann, is that correct? Anyone in the tomato business or tomato hobby knows who you are.
Old September 18, 2014   #29
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Strawberries are cheap, but not the ones I grow, the gourmet white pineberries
I have seeds for the white strawberries and never tried them. I guess when it dries out some I will try to grow them. It is our rainy season and the professional growers grow under plastic rows so the plants aren't drenched.
Old September 18, 2014   #30
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Unfortunately I am not here enough to keep up with everyone but I told him I thought you are Dr. Carolyn Mann, is that correct? Anyone in the tomato business or tomato hobby knows who you are.
Dr Carolyn Male.