Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old August 15, 2010   #1
Delizzy
Tomatovillian™

Default Garvey's Plum Steak and Garvey's Spanish Red Plum

Some time ago I received these two tomatoes in a trade, but I can't seem to find any information on them. The person who sent them to me said he got his seeds directly from Craig LeHoullier. What I am wondering is if the names may have gotten jumbled in some manner and what I actually have is Garvey's Plum and Garvey's Beefsteak, or do I actually have tomatoes called Garvey's Plum Steak and Garvey's Spanish Red Plum?

I've not grown these out yet because I had no information on them and there are so many other tomatoes I wanted to try.

I'd appreciate any input I can get.

Delizzy
Delizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2010   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hi there! A fellow who I ran across while living in Pennsylvania named James Garvey is (or was - haven't spoken to him in years) a tomato enthusiast who apparently did some crossing and selection. So Garvey's Beefsteak, Garvey's Plum - and those he called Spanish Plum and Plumsteak - are all creations of his. I grew out a few here and there along the way, but did not do a good job of maintaining them or giving them a really good evaluation....so keep us posted!

One thing I do know - his Spanish Plum grew out to be a very large red heart, and his Plumsteak a very large pink heart. Very meaty, very good flavor.
Old August 15, 2010   #3
Delizzy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the response. Now I know that those are not the same two, but four varieties. I am updating my records and had forgotten that I got those two. I may put them on my to grow list for next year. Unfortunately, that list grows longer and longer and longer. . . .

Again, thanks for the info!

Delizzy
Delizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2010   #4
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

I'm always for looking for tomatoes that makes good sauce I'll be interested if these will yes, keep us posted on your impression they sound great.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #5
HOOSIER JIM
Tomatovillian™

Default Garvey Pum Steak

Jim Garvey is still alive and gardening. He is 90 years old. I just spoke to him about his Plum Steak tomato. He stated that it was an accidental cross, as in bumblebee, of a plum and a beefsteak tomato about 75 years ago. He said he was still in his teens when it crossed but has been growing them ever since. Some get upward of 3 1/2 pounds.
HOOSIER JIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2016   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Wow, that's wonderful ....90! The tomatoes he brought to me at the Pennsylvania show were huge! It is a variety I've not grown out in many, many years. How is his health? I've love to talk to him some time - don't know if you could share his phone number, but PM me if this is possible. He is one of those that was there right at the start of my heirloom obsession!
Old January 22, 2016   #7
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

This sounds very intriguing! Would love to try some of these big plums in the future!