Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old March 11, 2013   #16
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirik View Post
Now in 2013 we in the norwegian seed savers have even more information about "Tante Ci"
The aunt, likes to refer to this tomato as "Ansofs gule" (Ansofs yellow), because she got it from The well known norwegian botanist Ansof Wyller Christophersen.
The tomato has been described as very similar to the variety "Golden Queen" and some of us here in Norway are growing both to see if they are the same variety.
In Norway there are at least four (women) members of a Polish gardening forum, of whom I know one fairly well (she grows tomatoes in a greenhouse). I'll ask them if they are interested, and of course mention both names ("Tante Ci" and "Ansofs Gule").

Last edited by GunnarSK; March 11, 2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: two words written together
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015   #17
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirik View Post
Bump!

Now in 2013 we in the norwegian seed savers have even more information about "Tante Ci"
The aunt, likes to refer to this tomato as "Ansofs gule" (Ansofs yellow), because she got it from The well known norwegian botanist Ansof Wyller Christophersen.

The tomato has been described as very similar to the variety "Golden Queen" and some of us here in Norway are growing both to see if they are the same variety.
Hi Eirik. Did you ever find out if Tante Cis is the same as Golden Queen?

Steve
(from Sokna)
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Hi Eirik. Did you ever find out if Tante Cis is the same as Golden Queen?

Steve
(from Sokna)
Steve, I just checked and Eirik was last here at Tville on July 27, 2014 so if you want to reach him maybe it's best to PM him, fingers crossed.

Golden Queen was released by the Livingston Seed Co in 1882

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Golden_Queen

So I'm not too sure about the story of sailers bringing varieties to Norway, especially Golden Queen.

Carolyn
Old August 19, 2015   #19
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Steve, I just checked and Eirik was last here at Tville on July 27, 2014 so if you want to reach him maybe it's best to PM him, fingers crossed.

Golden Queen was released by the Livingston Seed Co in 1882

So I'm not too sure about the story of sailers bringing varieties to Norway, especially Golden Queen.

Carolyn
Thanks for that info., Carolyn. I've sent a PM.
And yes, sailors brought back varieties of all sorts of things, and not only undesirable things, so they might well have brought Golden Queen seeds. The story is that Tante Cis got the seeds from Ansof Wyller Christophersen, who had an extensive herb garden, and lived in Tvedestrand, a town on the Southeast coast.
Old August 21, 2015   #20
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Steve.... I haven't looked through all the discussion threads I have found, but I wondered if you had seen this link.

http://www.edimentals.com/blog/wp-co...ist_070215.pdf

Third from the bottom is the offering of this person tomato seed of Tante Cis. They had 11 offerings.

I don't know who it is, but looks like it might be an offering from the NARGS site of folks.

https://www.nargs.org/seed-exchange

You can look at the past lists and it looks like folks list for this year starts Dec 15th.

I don't have time to hunt through the past lists , but maybe you can and find them and a way to contact them, or see about joing this years offerings in hopes of somebody else having the Tante Cis seeds.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2015   #21
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip, Starlight. I found out I can get seeds for the Norwegian varieties from the Scandinavian seed bank, NordGen. They'll be available again (only to people living in Scandinavia) from March 1, 2016. I've posted more info. on the varieties from Norway, including Tante Cis (correct name), on the thread "Origin of Imur Prior Beta and Sterling Old Norway", if you're interested.

Steve
Old August 22, 2015   #22
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Steve... Glad you were able to find some and if things happen and you don't at least you know NARGS is there. I have gotten all kinds of seed from NARgs from folks around the world and if you get a chance you should check it out, as you may just find other Norwegian varieties of tomatoes and other veggies available.

Yes, I been reading and following along on the Imur Prior Beta and Sterling Old Norway thread. Very interesting for sure. Learning new things. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2019   #23
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

How did the Tante Ci grow? Was anyone happy with them?

I have some that I would like to try this year......

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2019   #24
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown it, but it's reported to have very good taste. I never got an answer to the question about if it's the same as Golden Queen. They're said to be very similar. It's medium sized, and has a DTM of under 60 days in an unheated greenhouse in Norway. I'd forgotten about it, and I think I'll try it next year.

Steve
Old April 4, 2019   #25
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

ps: I've checked out Golden Queen on a number of sites, and they all have it at over 75 dtm, so maybe they are different.
Old April 4, 2019   #26
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I grew Tante Ci last year - sadly - it produced more than I wanted to use. For me, the taste was so-so. I'll not regrow it.

Taste varies - weather conditions vary . . . it could be great for you.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2019   #27
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the info....

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote