Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old June 13, 2015   #16
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

If one wishes to further discuss a topic that has previously been posted it seems far better to revive an old thread than start a new one. Just MY two cents worth....
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #17
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Seems efficient too! Great info out there!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
If one wishes to further discuss a topic that has previously been posted it seems far better to revive an old thread than start a new one. Just MY two cents worth....
Yes, Linda, I know your position b'c you've stated it before and I'm not going to justify my position re this specific thread and actually re some other threads as well, which is shared by quite a few others b'c I don't think it's the proper thing to do publicaly.

Carolyn
Old July 4, 2015   #19
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

I just love growing, eating, and talking tomatoes. It doesn't bother me one bit if there is an old thread, a new thread, or 200 threads on the same topic. And it shouldn't bother anyone else either. These threads are like TVs shows on TV: if it interests you then watch/talk about, if not, change channels (threads). By the way, SSE's Hillbilly is one of my favorite tomatoes when fully ripe - sweet and low acid and I grow it every year as well as an old big orange variety my grandmother from WVa (b. 1888) used to call Kentucky Wonder (which is probably a mislabeled Yellow Ponderosa or something like that cuz I've never read about a tomato by that name) .
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #20
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

In 1991 I grew out 12 differently named bicolors to see if they were the same or different. I grew 18 plants of each, 1 18 cell flat of each variety. I Don't remember all of the names offhand, but my question was answered soon after transplanting the seedlings to flats.

At about the 3rd or 4th true leaf stage of growth, with flats grouped together to grow on a bench it was evident to me each variety was entirely different. Eight of the varieties I grew that year had very similar fruit, one of those, had a similar shaped and sized fruit, but a majority of its fruit had sunken blossom ends. It was an outstanding beauty who's fruit could be recognized from shape alone. The other 4 varieties all had similar, but smaller fruit.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote