Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 17, 2013   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlm1 View Post
Naysen, hopefully these closer ups are helpful. First 2 are healthy. The third , Purple Bumblebee, has yellowing of leaves higher up than it should have. Unfortunately I cut the worst off yesterday but you can still see the lighter leaves. It is progressing slower than I would expect for fusarium, especially since we had the hot spell recently but nevertheless it is progressing and I think it will kill the plant.
Marla
Oops.

Marla, I am seeing the same thing on many of my plants grafted onto rootstock with fusarium resistance to two races of fusarium like Big Beef and Balls Beefsteak. The plants have all lasted far longer than they would have if not grafted onto those rootstock varieties and my total loses so far are minimal but the fusarium is progressing on many of the plants now. The ones I grafted onto Floralina and Tasti-Lee are not showing any significant fusarium symptoms. If they are showing any it is just too hard to tell with all the foliage diseases I am fighting right now. I think for me it is critical to use a rootstock that is resistant to all three races of fusarium to delay the onset as long as possible. The fluke rootstock is showing itself to be a little better than the hybrid varieties with resistance to two races of fusarium but not nearly as good as the ones resistant to all three. It is by far the most vigorous grower of all the rootstock I have tried and I have gotten amazing results with it on some varieties that are very stingy producers so I will use it again for sure.

Some of the grafts onto Amelia and Multifort are just now getting about 3 ft tall so I guess I'll know how resistant they are in a few weeks. Due to my many mishaps in grafting I only set out half the number of plants that I normally do yet this time of the year I still have almost twice as many healthy producing tomato plants. I really like those numbers. Less plants means less work planting, less work spraying and less work tying them up and best of all less pulling them up and replanting.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote