Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 2, 2008   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default My Favorite Photo To Date - 2008

Sometimes, the symmetry in a photo "grabs you". This one did it for me:

with the ripe Stupice down at the end of the row:

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2008   #2
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

I love that photo too, Ray! Even the red treasure is in the very middle of the picture!

How far apart are your rows of EarthTainers?

Thanks for sharing!

Hilde
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2008   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hilde,

I have the plants spaced 42 inches apart, in the 2 rows. Even so, I will have to do continuous pruning throughout the Summer. Several years ago I lived (opposite you) at the very end of S. Transit Road in Orchard Park, and really miss the 2 acre yard I had there. Here in Silicon Valley, I need to make use of every available square inch, it seems. But don't miss getting snowed-in, in Buffalo for 3 days during the 77 / 78 Blizzard....

Ray
Old June 2, 2008   #4
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Hilde,

I have the plants spaced 42 inches apart, in the 2 rows. Even so, I will have to do continuous pruning throughout the Summer. Several years ago I lived (opposite you) at the very end of S. Transit Road in Orchard Park, and really miss the 2 acre yard I had there. Here in Silicon Valley, I need to make use of every available square inch, it seems. But don't miss getting snowed-in, in Buffalo for 3 days during the 77 / 78 Blizzard....

Ray
Ray, that is too funny! I have only heard stories about the Blizzard of -77, since I moved to Buffalo and the US twenty years later, and you were there!

We live in Pendleton, which is right north of Amherst, in Niagara County. We seem to get the least amount of snow in the area, too far north to get the lake effect from Lake Erie and too far south to get the lake effect from Lake Ontario.

Oy, 42 inches, my raised beds are 30 inches apart. It will be a jungle then, I suppose. Hard to imagine right now as the plants are still quite small.

Hilde
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2008   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hilde,

We were "stuck" in our Corporate offices on Seneca St. for 3 days. Actually, we didn't have it too bad - the cafeteria stayed in operation, lights were on, etc. There were some "interesting" relationships that developed, however. Spouses that were marooned alone at home got quite antsy when they heard music, dancing, and partying in the background during their phone calls to the office....

Ray