Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 2, 2008   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Pink ruffled & togorific plant size

I am looking for height/width info on the above two varieties. Pink Ruffled is finally ready to move. A search indicated it is 'semi-wild'? Trying to decide which cages to use. Thank you - piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by piegirl View Post
I am looking for height/width info on the above two varieties. Pink Ruffled is finally ready to move. A search indicated it is 'semi-wild'? Trying to decide which cages to use. Thank you - piegirl
I can only share with you what others say who have listed both varieties in the SSE Yearbook, and/or at Sandhill, actually for quite a few years.

Pink Ruffled originated with Glenn Drowns at Sandhill Preservation and he lists a Red, Pink and Yellow Ruffled ( not in 08 catalog) and says the following:

"A continuously segregating gene pool of very ruffled fruits, excellent for salads and unique decorations. The colors are listed separately, but occasionally colors occur where they aren 't expected"

....from the Sandhill catalog/website.

All of them including the pink are indet and nothing at all is said about wild anything, just that they are still genetically unstable. Width of plants is not given for any variety, but knowing it's an indet should help.

Togorific I also think originated with Glenn and it's another ruffled variety , this one from the mideast. Also indet. Described as very seedy, very prolific and produces over a long season.

Hope that helps.
Old June 2, 2008   #3
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Thank you Carolyn! The semi-wild (pink ruffled) info came from Amishland - I did a quick search. I bought the seeds from Sandhill. The descriptions are quite different. Think I trust SH more. Pink was very slow to germinate and only two of nine seeds germinated. She is now a whopping 4 inches but big enough to move. Togorific - several look just fantastic and look ok. I am using different growing mediums and now I have blazing sun w/ late afternoon dappled shade in one area. The whole season will be one big experiment! But exciting. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote