Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 7, 2008   #1
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

Default Wrong leaf type!? Gold/yellow tomato Identity crisis.

I made a novice mistake and kept seeds from Whole foods tomatoes. There were a list of tomatoes that I did not copy other than noting Aunt Gertie's gold was on the list and choosing a nice looking and delicious golden yellow tomato with moderate lobing and oblate shape. I ate half of it and enjoyed the flavor which I would rate as sweet and the creamy texture. I assumed I was eating AGG and fermented and saved the seeds as such (non distributed of course). I have a few seedlings from that tomato I am raising and those they are the most vigorous regular leaf plants I have (they are slightly bigger than my brandywines as well). It seems what I thought I had was supposed to be potato leaf.
The grower for the heirloom tomatoes was from California and these were in Whole foods in July of 2007. Anyone know what I may have?

I plan to grow 3 or 4 out, If they all come true to the parent I would love to know what it is besides a delicious tomato. Not knowing wouldn't stop me from continuing a line, it would simply keep me from sharing it and causing more confusion.
Old February 8, 2008   #2
Luvgardening2
Tomatovillian™

I bought some cluster type tomatoes at Whole Foods last year and I kept the tag. Could it be Houweling's? They are in Oxnard and I think they are originally from Delta, B.C.

Nancy
Luvgardening2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #3
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

These were beefsteaks heirlooms from California.
I believe Houweling's refers to a greenhouse operation.

Thank you very much for looking for me.
Bryan
Old February 8, 2008   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Bryan this wont help any but I have a regular leaf tomato growing right in the middle of a row of stump of the world plants.

Now I know darn well I didn’t make a mistake, (no not me).

I have no idea how it got there and I don’t know what it is.

It will go the mystery row and then I will be able to tell what it is, maybe.

I also had one that sprouted up from the bottom of the seed starting tray and it will go there too as it isn’t even close to what it was growing next to.

Then there was the supposedly green tomato last year that turned into a large cherry tomato.

Now this one is a real mystery as of the time I had NO seeds for a large cherry tomato anywhere around the house.

The seeds were sent to me from someone else here at Tomatoville and I don’t know who it was.

It was a good tomato but I did not save the seeds as I’m not into mystery seed saving.

So believe it or not, there are many chances for a seed to get mixed up from the tomato got them from too even you.

I had a black cherry grow from a Copia plant last year also and it was the one I gave seeds to you from.

It makes me sound like an air head but when you plant 300 or more seeds a year things will happen.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Bryan,

Your description of the tomato, as sweet, tells me it is not Aunt Gertie's Gold.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #6
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

Well, I will just have to grow it out and see if it's good then. If it is especially productive and tasty it will get saved under "yellow beefsteak" or whatever fruit type it decides to produce, I guess you never know when things don't come out as expected.
Worth, I am growing out your Black Cherry seeds again and they are twice as vigorous as my red Cherry types. I really enjoy observing how different varieties display different characteristics as seedlings. I sent a tray of my "extra seedlings" home with my parents. They live on Padre Island In Corpus Christi. I instructed my dad to plant out mid February. I don't think he has ever grown indeterminate tomatoes.. He is in for a surprise!
Old February 8, 2008   #7
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tormato. Perhaps it is a yellow and not a gold. I liked it regardless.
Old May 26, 2008   #8
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

My Wife has harvested from this plant. Now I have a fruit with a picture. My wife describes it as sweet, Juicy almost fruity. She liked it very much for breakfast. I hope she saves me some.

Here are some pics of the Tomato. The red marbling/Bicolor tendency is facinating since I don't recall the parent fruit I took seeds from being anything but a solid Gold. This fruit was nearly 1 1/2 pounds. (my wife said she had a hard time finishing it in one sitting but she soldiered on )
I plan on saving seed from this plant whatver it is. It is odd, I want to say it looks like a Big Rainbow but I swear the parent fruit was not like this. This is slightly later than Brandywine Sudduth due to the fact that it seems to like to set fruit at a warmer temperature.

The Gold on the left next to a brandywine next to my reference for scale.

Scale reference for everyone else.

The good part

I look forward to tasting one of these.

Last edited by bryanccfshr; May 26, 2008 at 02:29 PM.
bryanccfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008   #9
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I had a "faux Toms Yellow Wonder" come out last season.
This one was super ripe ... def. reminded me of one of TYW parents: Pineapple ... with a "twist" of course.

~ Tom

Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008   #10
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

They always appear so delicious! This is Interesting and apparently not uncommon, definately not a Toms Yellow wonder. When the Term "Faux" is used in a variety what does it mean? Is it just an unexpected trait indicating misidentification? An unintended cross?

I think I will grow it out a couple of more generations and see if it's a keeper. Whatever it is my wife is still raving about it being better than her favorite Brandywine so I feel compelled to select from this . Of Course it is probably just something I haven't come accross and in my enthusiasm to findout what this is I am missing it. Or perhaps the Fruit is true to seed and the parent blushed in my location compared to the california location that the original fruit was grown.

I appreciate your input Tom.

Last edited by bryanccfshr; May 27, 2008 at 05:02 PM.
bryanccfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008   #11
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Faux is a French word for: "false" - which could also mean: fake/imitation" ...

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008   #12
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. So anything that doesn't come true to intended plant cultivar or label could be faux then? I am real good with dirt and growing but the horticultural aspect of Tomato growing is challenging and fun. With all the experts here tomato neophytes such as myself have a great resource. That's one more piece of terminology that I don't have to worry about misusing.
Old May 28, 2008   #13
dice
Tomatovillian™

[faux]

I think an implication of most uses of 'faux' in something
like tomato names or interior decoration or fashion is that it
looks like the original or authentic thing that it is named after.
"Earl's Faux" is a big pink that looks a lot like a pink Brandywine,
but is not, for example (came out of what were supposed to be
Red Brandywine seeds, if I recall correctly). Faux finishes for
home interiors might look like marble, slate, or a host of other
expensive materials but simply be a surface treatment over
wood or drywall or whatever that imitates the look of something
a lot more expensive (and perhaps higher maintenance). In
fashion, one might find faux alligator purses and similar that
look like real alligator hide but are made of plastics or some other
kind of leather.

Last edited by dice; May 28, 2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo
dice is offline   Reply With Quote