Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 20, 2014   #1
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Kow Compost

I think some people use it here and I came across it for the first time today. Do people like using this stuff? How does your mixes with Black Kow perform for you?

I would be mixing it with mostly peat/perlite and other amendments for my SIP containers.
Thanks!!
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2014   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

If it has any manure in it, be careful-a lot of the manures have herbicides that our folks have bought and it killed their tomatoes. I don't use anything that has manure.
Old April 20, 2014   #3
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Deleted by me due to not being compost but manure.

Last edited by PA_Julia; April 20, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2014   #4
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I have used and do use Black Kow. I can not speak for others but I never had any problems with it
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2014   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
I think some people use it here and I came across it for the first time today. Do people like using this stuff? How does your mixes with Black Kow perform for you?
Black Kow Composted Manure is a fantastic product and I recommend it to anyone. I have used at least 20 bags of it over the last years I was gardening in Houston and got very good results. I cannot say I have ever heard of anyone finding herbicide in composted cow manure.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2014   #6
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Sorry guys, Feldon got it right, - the bag says COMPOSTED COW MANURE.
as MDVPC saidm I guess I have heard the issues of people using pesticides etc for their cow's healths and just am a little worried about it being in the manure. I might get a couple of bags to test - perhaps its just not meant for container gardening.
Old April 21, 2014   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

While I couldn't find the Black Cow brand around here in the past, I have used another brand (don't remember which) of composted cow manure combined with Miracle Grow Potting Mix (NOT the Moisture Control version) in my grow bags for tomatoes and peppers. I learned about the combo in a post by nctomatoman (Craig L.) who uses grow bags, and it's been working out great for me.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2014   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Neither manures nor compost of any kind are recommended for Self Watering Containers, (SIP). They break down more quickly than peat and adversely impact the wicking action of the mix. The best mixes for SIPs are mostly peat, with perlite and sometimes bark chips. When I grow in regular containers, I mix in composted cow manure, but I never add it to my Earthboxes.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2014   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Neither manures nor compost of any kind are recommended for Self Watering Containers, (SIP). They break down more quickly than peat and adversely impact the wicking action of the mix. The best mixes for SIPs are mostly peat, with perlite and sometimes bark chips. When I grow in regular containers, I mix in composted cow manure, but I never add it to my Earthboxes.

Sorry, missed that in the original post. I only have experience with regular container growing.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2014   #10
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I am not liking the Miracle Gro that I've purchased a month ago as there seems to be an overwelming amount of large-ish twigs and bark-y pieces. With my SIP container setup, I usually can just add some amendments and be good to go.
So instead I was going to make my own potting mix using 2 parts peat and 1 part compost and amendments.

SunCity Linda, I didn't know compost was not recommended at all. Interesting.
Old April 23, 2014   #11
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

I use Earthgro Potting Soil and mix some Black Kow in with it. So far, results have been good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earthgro.JPG (22.7 KB, 301 views)
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #12
cubdriver
Tomatovillian™

Black Kow's website had a tutorial (video and PDF) of growing tomatoes right in the Black Kow bag (on its side). http://blackkow.com/_pdfs/bk_tomato.pdf

Seems like a space consuming messy way to to do it. Pros and cons of using "pure" Black Kow?

sj
cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2016   #13
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdriver View Post
Black Kow's website had a tutorial (video and PDF) of growing tomatoes right in the Black Kow bag (on its side). http://blackkow.com/_pdfs/bk_tomato.pdf

Seems like a space consuming messy way to to do it. Pros and cons of using "pure" Black Kow?

sj
Also an expensive way to grow them. This year, I'm recycling last year's container soil (which was a mix of a cheap garden soil, & Black Kow) and cutting it with Sta-Green Garden and Vegetable soil with fertilizer. Gave my transplants a nice starter boost. Added a small amount - about a teaspoon - of Jobe's Organic Veg. and Flower (2-5-3) and they are doing well. Will add more as they get bigger. Last year I made the mistake of using their tomato and veggie fertilizer with a nitrogen level of 10. Plants got huge, but not much fruit - eggplants did especially bad. Six foot eggplant plants but only a few eggplants.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2016   #14
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

Black Kow is probably the best compost on the market that is widely available. I've been using it for a decade. Grab a handful, it smells nice and earthy, rich black in color with no sand or forest product in it. There is a cheaper brand with bags half the cost: that stuff smells bad and is loaded with sand and bark.

The company that makes Black Kow also sells a quality mushroom compost at a similar price. I always mix these two 50/50. You might be lucky enough to have locally-produced mushroom compost available by the yard at a significant savings.

I grow in sub-irrigated containers with 20-30% compost in the mix, container sizes range from 5 gal to 100 gal. It can be done with excellent results. But it is more work for sure. I empty all my SIPs every year and mix in fresh compost and peat. But I would need to do this anyway to make sure the weed fabric I use as a barrier between soil and reservoir is still good. The last thing I want is tomato roots getting into the reservoir.

I use a compost-less mix in the mesh baskets that act as wicks (100 gal stock tanks use builder's sand for wicking), which transitions to a mix with roughly 1/3 compost. I add organic fertilizers like alfalfa and fish bone meal as well, and I don't have to fertilize all season. Plants will get a few waterings with weak liquid fish/seaweed, and AACT maybe once or twice. That's it.

I keep growing in the same mix through the winter with lots of different greens and brassicas, so I can usually tell when nutrients are starting to run low. The volume of the mix will have shrunk down several inches by this time.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #15
Keowee
Tomatovillian™

Locally, I've noticed that Black Kow from Lowe's is better quality than from Home Depot -- the bag design (particularly the font "Black Kow" is written in) is a bit different, as well. The bag I got from Home Depot last week seemed like a 3:1 ratio of compost to sand. The Lowe's bags had virtually no sand. YMMV.
Keowee is offline   Reply With Quote