Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 7, 2014   #31
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Default 4/7 update

it's been pretty hectic here the last week or so but i got some more pics today.

in the seed mat are cherokee purple x pineapple tomatoes, Deux de landes peppers, trinidad chocolate 7 pot peppers, and carolina reaper hot peppers.

i changed the nutrients yesterday and bumped them up to 2ml/L and again added actinovate. so far everything is growing well. the thyme and marjoram are finally picking up some steam. i had to prune some of the cilantro off yesterday to make room for all the new growth it is putting out

the pepper has some buds? forming, not sure if that's what they're called. there are four or five so far, and i think a cat bit one of the leaves at some point

the better boys suffered some sun damage as i had to take the lid off the greenhouse for the tornado weather we had the other night. i had them in there for a couple days but i guess it wasn't enough to harden them off, the tops all curled up like they were trying to escape the angry mississippi sun. they have almost recovered now after being put back in here a couple days ago, as have the heirloom seedlings that are planted in each one. there are also some coprinus mushrooms that have sprouted in the tomato containers but they are hard to see from this pic. the cucumber is doing well also and is shaking hands with the pepper and tomato

RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #32
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Default 4/11 Update

here are pics from this morning. the pepper is starting to branch off, i pinched the bud from the crotch area. The cilantro is about to grow flowers so i'm going to prune it again today. i topped each top on the catnip plant, it was starting to flower too. i set the better boys and cucumber out in the shade to get them ready to plant out

Old April 11, 2014   #33
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Ooh wow. Those peppers are looking amazing. Have you considered typing that monster? From all the videos this I've watched. They're supposed to come back with a vengeance an d have thicker stems. Which means less chance of breakage.

Sorry I meant "that" pepper looks amazing. I forgot you were growing ball too.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #34
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

do you mean topping it? i had thought about it i may top each fork in the branching and see how that goes
Old April 11, 2014   #35
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Doh! Topping. Yes that's what I meant. Sorry
Old April 11, 2014   #36
Randall
Tomatovillian™

Everything's growing well!
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #37
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Everything's growing well!
Thanks man! this has been a ton of fun i think it's just getting to the good part though, we'll see how well the vegetative nutrients do during fruit production soon. i was hoping to hold off on buying the other half of the nutrients but i may not have a choice
Old April 13, 2014   #38
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Your plants look so perfect! You could probably use them in a professional photo shoot
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #39
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

thanks man!!!

i took out the thyme and marjoram and put them outside in a little spot by the walkway with some cabbages and a couple sweet peppers. i moved in two tomatoes, some sort of heirloom i lost the tags along the way. i expect they will grow pretty quick in here and i will have some shoots for grafting. i'm thinking of using this closet to grow hydro tomatoes for grafts all year and see how many different varieties i can put on each plant.

the cilantro was starting to flower so i cut the flowers off and now the leaves look to be getting a bit bigger. the basil looks ok, but i suspect the cold nights have set it back some cause basil is pretty sensitive to cold IME. the catnip also started flowering so i topped all but one branch. i figure i'll use the basil in here to take cuttings to put out with my tomatoes once it's warm enough

just about all if not all of the yellow squash have sprouted in the Ultrasorb and one basil but not much to look at for that yet
Old April 17, 2014   #40
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Default 4/17 update

everything looks ok except for the basil, i'm gonna put it in something soon but the cool temps outside have prevented planting it out. the catnip has little white flowers on it, they almost look like little cat faces up close

squash still looks good i can't wait to start planting things out already!

Old April 17, 2014   #41
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking plants, Root.

I'm still floored as to how well your pepper is doing in there. By the time you put it out it's gonna be a monster. Just by looking at the leaf size you can tell it's happy.
Old April 17, 2014   #42
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

i'm just gonna leave it in here and see how it goes, i've got a bunch of other peppers i can put outside i want to see how they end up in here
Old April 23, 2014   #43
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Default 4/23 update

the pepper is dropping blossoms, either due to the vegetative nutrients or temps or both. lows in the sixties high of 84 so i figure it's a bit of both. i won't be able to order the bloom nutrients for a few weeks so i may end up putting this one outside and giving it some ttf, still debating. i cut the light to half power and have the fan blowing in until night time. i've also cut the light time down to 12 hrs or so a day for now. i may also drop the concentration down to 1.5 per L. i would love to see a room full of these pepper plants

the tomatoes have grown easily twice as big as they were in the post six days ago

the basil looks better now, it is putting on some leaves. i moved the basil clone outside in the shaded garden by the walkway and took another cutting off the main one

all the squash i had are outside in the shade now and one has a nice fat blossom on it, haven't checked to see if it's male or female but i'll get some pics of those tmrw. i trimmed a bunch of catnip off already and gave some to a couple of folks for their cats, it's gotten a lot bigger than before even with the trimming

i also started 72 more seeds of various varieties of tomatoes herbs and peppers in the seed warmer

that's about it for now, thanks for viewing!
Old April 23, 2014   #44
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Everything looks great! Will send you some dwarf tomato seeds so you can try them out on your hydroponic setup.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #45
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

i can't wait! thanks a bunch! i'll have a little extra money by june sometime to get some buckets and bloom nutrients and other things, i just love how fast they grow in deep water culture. i've also got a free aquarium i want to try some basic aquaponics with soon, probably also deep water culture so the fish can swim around the roots, probably some algae eaters so i don't have to keep the fish completely in the dark.