Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2008   #1
sands4evr
Tomatovillian™

Default Stem problems.

This is my first post here in tomatoville and I want to use everyones knowledge to help me out. I am not new to growing tomatoes, but this year I've stepped it up and I am planting several varieties. My problem is this: I have several plants that are completely healthy looking, but about half way up the stem it is shrunken in. The leaves are still a bold green and the stem is sturdy with no signs of discoloration. Any ideas on what the problem might be. Thanks!
sands4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Do you mean half way from the ground to the first set of leaves?

I had some tomatoes that developed shrunken dry areas on the stem a couple of inches above ground level. The top of the plant was very healthy, but it started to go limp in the hot afternoon sun. Eventually though, it was clear the plants were not going to make it and I pulled them. I decided it was probably some fungal disease, an adult form of the damping off that more often affects seedlings. I had used folded newspaper collars to protect against cut worms, and the moisture trapping and lack of ventilation so close to the stem was not good. I had previously used newspaper collars for 3 or 4 years without any ill effects, but no longer do so. Do you by any chance have mulch pulled up tight next to your stems? If so, pull it back a few inches so it doesn't rub on the stem.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008   #3
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Sands,

If you post a picture it would help. But I can say that if the plant is otherwise healthy looking don't worry to much. I have had several plants with healed over wounds of some sort have more narrow stems in places, and they did fine. Don't know if this is what you mean by shrunken stems.

Vince
Old May 25, 2008   #4
sands4evr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them when I figure out this technology thing! I had used paper collars on some to prevent cut worms, but they didn't fare so well. I had to pull them already. We'll see what the morning brings and I'll try to get you a picture ASAP. Thanks for your time.
Old May 26, 2008   #5
dice
Tomatovillian™

You can try cornmeal on top of the ground around the plants
for the cutworms. Word is that when they eat cornmeal, it swells
up inside them and they die.

Last edited by dice; May 27, 2008 at 03:05 AM. Reason: typo
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008   #6
sands4evr
Tomatovillian™

Sorry no photo today, there were more pressing issues at hand. My pump went out on my well this evening and I am without water for the next few days. Luckily the little guys got their fill of water this morning. Keep your fingers crossed the heat is tolerable and the well drillers know what they are doing. I will post the picture soon pending no other disasters.