Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 16, 2016   #16
braybright

Exciting times! Looking forward to participating.
Old July 16, 2016   #17
Susan66
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Hi Susan66, no worries I can help you as a sponsor.
Up to now I have been on the receiving side. Does the sponsor send seeds to the newbie or directly to Tormato? Do the wanted/donated categories have to match somehow?

- Lisa
Thank you. Lisa! Then, if I end up with anything worth sending I can send it in too. But not get worried if I don't!
Susan
Susan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #18
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I want to participate but is there a thread explaining the rules and the sponsor thing? I looked through some of the 2014 MMMM thread but it goes on forever and I can't read it all.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #19
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

I'm in! This will be my first time to join this swap and I'm really excited!!
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #20
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

I'm in but I probably won't have any seed to send in. I really want to participate in the dwarf and micro categories. Can anyone sponsor me?
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #21
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I can cover you. I have many dwarfs, but nothing for the micro category.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #22
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much!
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #23
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=gardeninglee;578721]I'm in but I probably won't have any seed to send in. I really want to participate in the dwarf and micro categories. Can anyone sponsor me?[/QUOTE

I can cover you in micros (If Gary will accept not fully stabilized F3 & F4 seed). Ask him......
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #24
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGardener23 View Post
Okay, I'm going to start with a couple questions that I haven't been able to figure out the answers to from reading prior MMM threads....

1. What are the minimum and maximum number of total seed packets one should send in?

2. Are there a minimum or maximum number of seed packets to send in for a given category (e.g. can I send in 3 red, 25 dwarf, 14 green, 6 Tribbles, etc)?

3. Would you like us to list the category on the seed packet or not? I know you mentioned that you like to be flexible to fill out categories (e.g., route a "red" to an "Eastern European" as appropriate).

4. Must you send in seeds from a given category in order to receive seeds from that category or not? If not, do you just indicate interest through the wish list (e.g. I want lots of KYSO and dwarf)?

5. I'm flummoxed by the wish list guidelines. Am I correct in understanding that if you send in more seeds, you can make fewer "wishes" on your list?

Okay, enough questions for now. I cannot wait for the swap, now I just need some tomatoes to ripen.
1. There are no minimum nor maximum number of seed packs that can be sent in.

A maximum number is welcome, as those hopefully will sponsor people that send in the minimum (zero). Generally, if you send in up to 100 packs of seeds, you will likely receive more packs back than you sent in. Those that send in many 100's of packs do not expect many 100's of varieties back.

2. For the category part of the swap to work, 10 packs of a variety needs to be met by most participants in that category.

Only sending in 3 packs for the Red category should be OK, because there will be red tomatoes in the cherry, beefsteak, heart, etc... categories. A surplus in one category can be used for a shortage in another. Several people sending in less than 10 packs for Tribbles could lead to a shortage. Anything beyond 10 packs of a variety sent in are considered bonuses, which are evenly split up among all participants.

3. On the seed packet, variety and year of harvest should be listed.

After that, it's up to the participant to list anything more. On your paper send-in list, it would be nice for a more detailed description. Some do not want to know about the KYSO and/ or Desert Island category of varieties they receive. There will be a MMMM Spoiler Alert thread where the varieties in those categories will be posted for those that do want to know.

4. No. But again, shortages might happen. Listing those categories on a wish list that others will read, or finding a sponsor for that category are the best options.

5. I'll address this further when I have time. But, it has nothing to do with how many packs you send in. It has to do with how many packs you'd like back.

Last edited by Tormato; July 19, 2016 at 03:32 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #25
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=dfollett;578984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninglee View Post
I'm in but I probably won't have any seed to send in. I really want to participate in the dwarf and micro categories. Can anyone sponsor me?[/QUOTE

I can cover you in micros (If Gary will accept not fully stabilized F3 & F4 seed). Ask him......
There aren't that many micro varities out there. So, your work in this area should be greartly appreciated. Those that request micros and only want stabilized ones should state so. Otherwise, F3's, F4's, (F2's?) will also be sent. Future seed from the best of these experiments hopefully will make its way back to the donor.
Old July 18, 2016   #26
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

A link to where you may start posting your wish lists...

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=203

It's the 2nd link, at the bottom.
Old July 18, 2016   #27
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

A link to the different wish list sizes...

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=424
Old July 18, 2016   #28
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The timeline for sending back packages has been mid-November 'til the end of December. Last year went into January, as many packages arrived late, here.

So, I'll put out the request again for feedback. Just how early, do some of you, start tomatoes and peppers?
Old July 18, 2016   #29
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Do the wanted/donated categories have to match somehow?

- Lisa
Lisa, I think I can answer this part. Yes, you should find out which categories the person wants to participate in and send seeds in that correspond to those categories.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #30
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
The timeline for sending back packages has been mid-November 'til the end of December. Last year went into January, as many packages arrived late, here.

So, I'll put out the request again for feedback. Just how early, do some of you, start tomatoes and peppers?

I like to start peppers and tomatoes as early as January & February, respectively, down here in Mississippi.
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote