Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2017   #1
Zeus123
Tomatovillian™

Default When to pull a plant and how late can i replace

Hello!

I currently have the below list of tom's growing:

Dwarf - Better Bush, Rutgers (crazy growth, flowering, and fruit), and Debut

Indeterminate - Beefmaster, Chocolate Sprinkles, Husky Cherry, Lemon Boy, Mr. Stripey, Park's Whopper, and Super Fantastic

I also have a Berkeley Pink Tie Dye and a Green Zebra (both in plant stage) shipping out to me on 5/15.

All are doing very well and the dwarfs all have fruit (indeterminate's were planted 2 weeks later), but the Debut is maybe 10" tall. It also somehow has 4 tom's that are quite large in comparison to the rest. Also, the Mr. Stripey seems to be pretty slow going at the moment.

Question 1: If you didn't feel like purchasing another 18 gallon container would you pull the Debut? I can't imagine I'm going to get anything else off the plant besides the 4 tom's already on it.

Question 2: Do you think 5/15 is too late to plant and expect much production from the Berkeley PTD and the Green Zebra? I live in Atlanta, GA if this helps.

Going to keep an eye on Mr. Stripey, but considering pulling it as well if it doesn't pick up a bit by the time I receive the Berkeley PTD and the Green Zebra.

Soil is good, well watered, fertilized, so I can't imagine it's anything besides a few bad genes.

Thanks!

Zeus
Zeus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Since your Debut is a determinate, that is the first one that I would pull. You can tell if the plant is finished producing if the lead ends in a blossom rather than new growth.

No it is not too late to be planting down there. You may have to wait until temperatures cool down in the fall to get a good harvest though. Who knows what the weather may bring, perhaps you will be harvesting the whole season through. Give it a try, there is nothing to lose.
Old May 2, 2017   #3
Zeus123
Tomatovillian™

Perfect, certainly the answer i was looking for. Appreciate it!
Zeus123 is offline   Reply With Quote