Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 12, 2012   #1
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

Default how can I save bush bean seeds?

what do I need to know about saving seeds for next years garden?? I want to save my Blue Lake Bush Bean seeds.

thanks
Lowlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2012   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

So long as you are not growing a hybrid variety and your plants appear healthy and free of disease.... Just let them grow out until they are pretty dry but before the husk splits/shatters. Shell them out and store in a cool dry place. Discard any malformed, discolored or split seed.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2012   #3
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

what do you mean "grow out until the dry"?
Old August 12, 2012   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Leave the pods to grow on the plants, the beans inside will continue to mature, swell up and and form lumpy seeds you can see, eventually the pod skins will first become tough and leathery, then get dry and brittle. Wait til the last stage before picking and shelling out for storage.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2012   #5
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

could a dehydrator be used?
Old August 12, 2012   #6
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlander View Post
could a dehydrator be used?
Nope. Best just left to Ma Nature; slow down a lot on the watering and the pods will dry up nicely on their own. I am harvesting a handful of dried-out pods each day from 3 different varieties; it just takes a bit of time. You can let the whole plant dry out or harvest individual pods as they dry out, whichever works with your schedule.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2012   #7
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

can I pull some plants and hang them to dry?? I kinda need the space for some fall crops.

also, once I harvest the seeds, how do I store them?? vacuum bags? paper bags?? plastic bags??
Old August 13, 2012   #8
halleone
Tomatovillian™

I just pulled out the rest of my Tiger's Eye shell beans, because I got tired of waiting for them to get on with the drying process, and I too needed their spot for fall plantings. I tied them with string and they are hanging in the shed to dry. Whether thay are in the shed or house drying, once I shell them out, I still let them dry out for about another week or so before packaging up, just to be sure they are good and dry. One year I managed to ignore them and they sat out for several months and were just fine (read that as lazy).

Those that are for eating will go in glass jars. Anything that I'm keeping for seed stock will get put in envelopes.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #9
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

if I hang them green, will they dry correctly?? Right now, they are getting water that is meant for the watermelons, so they will very slow to dry up on their own, hence my idea of just pulling the plants and hanging the whole thing.
Old August 13, 2012   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlander View Post
also, once I harvest the seeds, how do I store them?? vacuum bags? paper bags?? plastic bags??
You need the moisture content in the beans to get as low as possible. I made the mistake of putting my beans in a shallow bowl and all the ones on the bottom rotted. The paper bag might work, but the other 2 will cause them to mold.

I would put them out on paper plates out of reach of 2- and 4-legged pests for a few weeks.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #11
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

OK, paper plates on the pool table it is