Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2017   #76
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

While scanning the sky for tornadoes yesterday, I noticed my neighbor's weeping willow tree has lots! of green showing. The black berry patch in the way back also has lots of green. Massive flocks (200+) of Canadian geese also flying north 2 within 5 minutes. There was a smaller white bird with black?/grey? wings flying behind them. I need to plant peas!
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #77
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I think we have spring, for sure.
Even oaks are budding. Pines are shedding lots of pollen. Tulips are up but no flowers yet.

But spring does not mean that you can plant out your tomatoes but you CAN plant a lot of other veggies ; onions, chives, parsley, cilantro, brassicas, radish, carrots, lettuce, peas , potatoes (ready to sprout ) .. and a lot more. I have some of those growing and surviving freezing night weather. So my garden is alive and well with signs of life.

We are less than 2 weeks away from spring equinox. That mean 12 hours of daylight. Some plants need that in order to make the move.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #78
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

"I have some of those growing and surviving freezing night weather. So my garden is alive and well with signs of life."
Me too though it is under a blanket of snow again this morning. We've had ore snow days than in many years past but also more sunshine.
Celery, parsley and chives were leafy and green yesterday.....

The wild ducks and other birds are pairing up. Migrating geese are in the bay, a rest stop for them on their way to AK Mark. (Brants) Last night I heard a sea lion calling in the night. Herring on their way make the seagulls gather on the beach and look like snow when they all take wing. All signs pointing to Spring. Soon, very soon.

Even if it's not really here yet, I do have some tomato seeds coming up in anticipation.

Last edited by GrowingCoastal; March 5, 2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: sp
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #79
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A sign here is when this tree/bush whatever it is starts leafing out. It's the only one on this 10 acres. It grows in complete shade 9 months of the year beside a huge oak tree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0092.JPG (70.6 KB, 50 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #80
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Robert, you mean you haven't planted out yet ?
Tomorrow I will make the move.
I also started my first batch early ( Jan 19) and the second batch on Feb 12.
The second batch won't be ready until early April, I think.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #81
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Gardeneer, in my almost 52 years of living 10 miles from where I was born - I have watched gardeners plant tomato plants as early as mid February. On cold nights, they would cover the plants with metal coffee cans and/or cut plastic milk jugs. It didn't work for the most part.

Recently - within the past ten years, I have watched people plant out tomatoes in early March and lose them to freeze and frost, buy more transplants in late March... to watch the April freeze and frost get them..

Just a few years ago - I don't remember if it was 2012 or 2013 - A night of 32 degrees and frost got their tomato plants on May 2nd.

Once bitten twice shy.

I am going to plant some out this coming weekend. It is because they have grown so large and have become unruly. I've raised the lights as high as they can go, so they're just growing around and above the lights. I am going to have to put a cage around some of them when I plant them out. I have a lot of pepper plant sized cages I built years ago. That should protect them from the high March winds.
Old March 6, 2017   #82
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I noticed this weekend that my muscadines are budding out and pollen is falling from the pine tree.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #83
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

received a facebook memory from one year ago. 8" of snow on the ground. not a snowflake in sight this year.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017   #84
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

When your oak and elm trees start looking like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0093.JPG (115.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0094.JPG (117.8 KB, 22 views)

Tags
blossoms , leaves , red bud , tulips