Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old July 21, 2009   #1
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Default Sawdust as mulch and myco

I have used the MycoGrow soluble for all my potted plants, in my garden and flowerbeds. I planted new hostas early May and put MycoGrow directly to the planting hole. The area was mulched with coarse sawdust previous fall. I noticed now that there are mushrooms growing next to the new hosta. It could be from the MycoGrow or some local mushroom (I am not good identifying them), but anyways sawdust seems to be good mulch for mycorrhizal. We cut some trees for firewood this week, so I spread the fresh sawdust under my zucchini and over a flowerbed. I have read that sawdust is not good mulch, because it ties nitrogen from soil when it decomposes and that's why I hesitated earlier using it.

I hope I'm doing the right thing.
Old July 21, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I don't think your going to get mushrooms from the MycoGrow. But the sawdust mulch probably set up a favorable environment for mushroom spores to grow in. This past 2 weeks I've noticed mushrooms coming up in my grass, especially in the moist areas. Normally we don't get the mushrooms till the fall and attribute this to the wetter than normal July we are having. Ami
Old July 22, 2009   #3
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Our July has been quite dry and that's why I was surpriced to see mushrooms. Our grass is yellow and some flowerbeds got so dry that water just runs on the surface.

I found pictures of some of the myco species in the MycoGrow. Most of them seem to be such round globes, the ones by the hosta have stem and flat 'hat'.
Old July 22, 2009   #4
dice
Tomatovillian™

I used MycoGrow Soluble on all of my tomato, zucchini,
and some perennial seedlings. No mushrooms.

Fungi that produce mushrooms do like decaying wood
products, though. Growing on a decaying log is standard
practice for many of the edible mushroom kits that one
can buy.

If you mix sawdust into the soil, that can induce nitrogen
drawdown, because of the high carbon content in sawdust.
I do not know how much of that affect one would have
using it as mulch, though. It seems like that effect would
be restricted to a few centimeters of depth on top of the
soil.
Old July 22, 2009   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

If I had sawdust to use as a mulch, I'd use it under shrubs or trees, or on perennials (including tomatoes), not on annuals, since annuals prefer a bacterial-dominated soil, and wood products nurture a fungal-dominated soil. (Mycorrhizae are good for all, though.) But I'd probably mix it with other materials first, such as coffee grounds or ramial wood chips. The mixture would help keep water flowing through -- I've seen that coffee grounds spread more than a quarter inch or so form a hydrophobic layer.

I also assume the mushrooms are from the sawdust, not from the mycogrow. I often see a slime mold called "dog vomit slime mold" during the rainy season where I've mulched with ramial wood chips.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote