Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 3, 2012   #1
Salaam
Tomatovillian™

Default Different sized nursery tray

Hello all,

I need a tray/flat about 25-29 inches by 16 to 17 inches, to put yogurt containers with seedlings in.

Why the unusual size? My two shelves are 25x17. I want to put as many yogurt containers on them as possible. With standard trays, I can only fit eight containers. With a 25x17 container, I would be able to fit 20.

So any ideas on what could serve as such a tray. Somebody suggested a cat litter pan. A good idea! Anyone have any other ideas? I have a feeling there's something around the apartment that would do the job, but I just can't find it!!
Salaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #2
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

Disposable Aluminum trays from the supermarket?
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012   #3
janezee
Tomatovillian™

I have a variety of containers I use. My favorite is an under the bed storage container. About 33" long, and about 15" wide is easy to pick up and fit through the door.
I also have a couple of bussing bins from a local restaurant, with broken handles, but work fine for me, and I bought a small cement mixing tray from HD for cleaning my trays and pots, and will eventually be put into service.
It's also great for mixing potting mix in.
A turkey roaster pan from the thrift store is looking appealing, too.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012   #4
John3
Tomatovillian™

Have you thought about using 1x4s or 1x6s make a frame to size you want then add some plywood or luan for the bottom and line with saran/cling wrap or plastic or aluminum foil (or something like that). They should last many years. Some of the lumber stores will cut the wood for you.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I found some 22x13" black plastic mud trays (like for shoes and boots) at the dollar store. They are a little too flimsy and shallow to carry around anything heavy, but work fine as shelf liners for my house plants.

You could also find a cardboard box with close dimensions and cut it down so it is shallow enough. Put some extra cardboard from the sides over the bottom to make it stronger. Line it with a white trashbag to catch drips and reflect more light.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote