Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 30, 2012   #1
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Default Plastic bag covers on all seed starting flats!

I start my seeds in usually styrofoam grape boxes! The main problem was they get dirty and I like to reuse them. I started putting all the boxes and seed flats in a white plastic garbage bag. The bags are cheap and only need to be .6 mills. The plastic bags do several things to make seeds grow better. The soil holds the water much longer and I can put in a single drain hole with just a pin! ! The white plastic reflects light back on the seedling. The bag makes the whole area much cleaner and the boxes have very little to clean after the bags are removed!Bags are very cheap as little as 3 cents each! The plastic also holds the heat n the planter longer! Has anyone tried it?
Old March 30, 2012   #2
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

I have used the big white kitchen bags and it has worked fine.

This year, I sowed melon, squash, and a few restarted tomato seeds in jiffy pots, in a plastic container, enclosed in a supermarket bag on the floor next to the heater board 2 days and almost all of the melon's are up, and now under lights.
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote