Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 25, 2012   #1
cegeddin
Tomatovillian™

Default Transplant to garden

What are the guidelines for when to put a tomato transplant into the soil?

I know for many plants, there's a soil temp range that is most conducive toward growing, below that range, the plant won't necessarily die, but it may stunt growth. I know that for tomatoes, if you hit a freeze, you'll likely kill your transplants, but that's the extent of what I've picked up.

Any idea of the success and optimal growth for transplants is more about air temp, soil temp, etc?

[ I feel like this has to have been asked before, but I can't find it in searches. ]
cegeddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I look for night temperatures around 50 degrees before I put mine out.
Your local extension agency should have a planting calender online.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #3
cegeddin
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, the extension agents do have a calendar, and that's helpful. (And, our extension agents are beyond amazing.)

But, for example, things are crazy where I am right now. My yard was overrun with grass a full month before I usually begin mowing, and I'm seeing plants I'm not used to seeing for a while yet.

Also, there is a fair variation in microclimates even with an a half mile radius of my house. This is the first year I'm starting to try to track growth and such, and I'm hopeful there is info out there that I can use as a jumpstart.
cegeddin is offline   Reply With Quote