Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 9, 2012   #1
markd42
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine yellowing leaves

Hello all, Last year I grew two (2) Brandywine Sudduths Strain and I easily got 50 beautiful tomatoes that were without question the best I ever tasted. THe leaves started turning yellow at some point midseason, but the plant still survived well enough to provide the aforementioned bounty. This year, I have eighteen (18!!) plants situated in rows three apart, with 30 inches between each plant (see attacehd). THey are doing quite well and have set their first fruits. However behold in the pic, the lowest leaves are starting to yellow, this time with also some damage to the leaves as well. Please tell me what this is and how to remedy.

THanks in advance,
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bwineleaf.JPG (939.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg bwinerows.JPG (463.3 KB, 63 views)
markd42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2012   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Drought Stress, nothing to worry about. You're going to get normal leaf senescence on the older growth as the plants mature anyway, but heat and lack of rain exacerbate the symptoms with the marginal browning,
I got the same thing when it was hot and dry for an extended period of time. Brandywine's seem to show this yellowing and browning on the lower leaves more than other varieties most times.
When I increased watering during the dry times, the symptoms went away.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote