Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 3, 2017   #46
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Mark, Thanks for the details. Will trial a number of varieties to see what meets the requirements. I am using your list as the place to start.

In the photo above:

Does the single stem grow thicker than if two or several??

And I dont see supports for the trusses? The fruits look huge and likely to break off the main stem.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017   #47
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Mark, Thanks for the details. Will trial a number of varieties to see what meets the requirements. I am using your list as the place to start.

In the photo above:

And I dont see supports for the trusses? The fruits look huge and likely to break off the main stem.
This shows how most HT growers prune/trellis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8L_x42RieA
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017   #48
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post

In the photo above:

I would go broke with labor if I supported every truss. I have lost a few, very few though. They usually bend into the main stalk, which gives a lot of support. I have got 8 pounds off of one truss of Delicious with no support, weighed ones anyway.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017   #49
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I would go broke with labor if I supported every truss. I have lost a few, very few though. They usually bend into the main stalk, which gives a lot of support. I have got 8 pounds off of one truss of Delicious with no support, weighed ones anyway.

Im wondering if your selection over the years has been to account for those trusses. Yes labor is a big expense. Costs time and money. lol Need strong trusses, that dont need extra support.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2017   #50
shule1

I don't know if you do other stuff besides tomatoes, but I found a sweet pepper that might perk anybody's interest: the Neapolitan pepper.

It looks like it's extremely productive, especially for the size of the peppers (4 x 2 inch fruits). The plants are said to be sturdy and compact. It's early (65 days). One plant can provide 30 to 40 mature fruits at a time. It's even open-pollinated. Read the reviews in the link, too (there are four reviews, all five-star, right now).

Last edited by shule1; March 2, 2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old August 15, 2017   #51
Rachidillo
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much for the details Mark. My situation is not very diferent from yours. Im growing tomatoes for market in a high tunnel in Sweden. Mostly heirlooms. I am very interested in some of the varieties you grow and wonder if I could buy some seeds from you for next season.
Rachidillo is offline   Reply With Quote